Patil's T-roc 2020 1.5Tsi evo+Dsg7 RHD

A section of the forum for members to show off their non-polo vehicles.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: Patil's T-roc 2020 1.5Tsi evo+Dsg7 RHD

Post by Maarten »

ciclo wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:36 am In case of applying products, do not apply products to make plastics shine, apply products to hydrate plastics.

🙏
CARPRO PERL would be a good product for it. (of course there are more options, but this is one I use)
patil
Silver Member
Drives: Polo6r/1.2TSI/DSG7, T-roc'20 1.5TSI/DSG7

Post by patil »

ciclo wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:36 am
In case of applying products, do not apply products to make plastics shine, apply products to hydrate plastics.

Thank you dear Master. I didn't understand what is hydrating the plastics. I only used WD40 to clean up dirt at some places in engine bay, I thought WD40 is safe. Anything better you recommend?
Maarten wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:09 am
CARPRO PERL would be a good product for it. (of course there are more options, but this is one I use)
Thanks Maarten for the suggestion. I will give it a try. 👍🏻
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Plastics subjected to high temperatures or direct sunlight deteriorate rapidly, they need to be hydrated.

The one recommended by Maarten is very good (Thanks for the tip! 👍), hydrates the plastic and leaves an ideal satin finish (like new from the factory).
On the other hand, if the budget is tight, you can use a natural glycerin household soap, it will also hydrate the plastic and leave that clean and satin finish.
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

ciclo wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:16 pm Plastics subjected to high temperatures or direct sunlight deteriorate rapidly, they need to be hydrated.

The one recommended by Maarten is very good (Thanks for the tip! 👍), hydrates the plastic and leaves an ideal satin finish (like new from the factory).
On the other hand, if the budget is tight, you can use a natural glycerin household soap, it will also hydrate the plastic and leave that clean and satin finish.
Ok understood, I will buy carpro perl 👍
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

I have a question regarding MK8 capacitive touch steering wheel. If I buy a wheel with heated steering button, and don't do wiring for heated steering wire it is ok? Will it throw an error in diagnostics for not wiring it. I want to give this wheel a try on my roc. One is available brand new for a very competitive price.

This one:

iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

No it shouldn't matter. You can disable the heating button via coding in the CAN gateway via VCDS/ODIS-E.
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

iichel wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:09 am No it shouldn't matter. You can disable the heating button via coding in the CAN gateway via VCDS/ODIS-E.
That's comforting to know, thank you iichel🤝
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

New tools

I invested some good money to buy some good quality tools.

I have been using Chinese SN48B crimping tool for long time. late off I wasn't happy with it. One big drawback with it is, we can't crimp conductor barrel and insulation barrel seperately. It's a pain especially when need to crimp rubber seals. Engineer PA20 crimps really good, especially MQS and JPT terminals👌
Also bought Knipex automatic wire stripper+cutter this time, replacing old chinese one which had become blunt. Knipex though quality wise isn't great but strips wires perfectly without damaging the cores.👌 Added quality digital caliper to my toolbox, which was missing for long time.

Overall happy with these tools.☺️
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

Update:

I am super excited to share with you all that I successfully completed retrofitting Electric tailgate with easy open + easy close, PLA 3.0, Wireless charging and few others. ☺️

The electric tailgate installation was fun as well as challenging particularly the easy close. Easy close feature is so far not offered on T-roc even in latest facelifts of 2023. This makes my roc special 🥳 and a worthy upgrade, so far its the best upgrade I did in my roc.😎
I will write detailed log on electric tailgate retrofit, so might help someone who wish to do it, as there are no detailed reports of this installation in T-roc.

PLA 3.0 retrofit was also riddled with few difficulties and surprises.. but eventually succeded. 12K OPS is cool, automatic parking feature still I haven't tried. Will write details about this retrofit also soon.

Just a glimpse for now :mrgreen:

🤗
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Well done patil, it's indeed a great feature, this powered tail gate with all its comfort options. The PLA 3.0 adds a lot of comfort as well. Do you often let the car park itself?
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

iichel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:58 pm Well done patil, it's indeed a great feature, this powered tail gate with all its comfort options. The PLA 3.0 adds a lot of comfort as well. Do you often let the car park itself?
I haven't tried autoparking yet. I want to do a small study, I mean I want to flash PLA datasets of different cars and evaluate the outcome.✍️
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

New 3 channel dashcam for my roc from Viofo. For one or other reason I delayed the purchase. For me dashcam is must, more cameras the better. Too many psychopaths on the roads these days.😠

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/252-t130-3ch ... ivers.html

Already completed rear camera wiring during electric tailgate installation. Front camera+ hardwiring to fusebox is pending. Will share the details once I finish installation.

There is also OEM dash camera( front/ front+rear) if anyone is interested !
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

Log#19

New mod: 12K OPS ( PLA 3.0)

Parts:
1. Front PLA sensors 5Q0919297A (2pcs)
2. Rear PDC sensors 34D919275A (2pcs)
3. PLA brackets
Front set 2GA919399 ( includes 2GA919400)
Rear set 2GA919397 ( includes 2GA919398)
4. PLA 3.0 control module 5QA919298K
5. PLA+ PDC buttons (RHD) 2GB927238WHS. 2GA927238WHS for LHD.
6. Wiring harness - I bought readymade wiring kit from AliExpress.

The whole 8K to 12K PLA kit is available in AliExpress. https://a.aliexpress.com/_mterBTs

I bought only wiring and 4 sensors from the above link. Rest of the parts I bought seperately from eBay/dealer etc.

I found few shortcomings in AliExpress wiring kit. Firstly, these ali wiring harness are designed for LHD vehicles, the length of front wiring was not sufficient to reach my RHD driver side footwell where PDC module is located, I had to extend the wiring by 50cms. The rear wiring length was more than required. Secondly the front wiring didn't had coupler, without coupler it will be difficult to remove the front bumper for future need. Even though the rear wiring had coupler, it isn't watersealed, not ideal outside cabin. Thirdly, the wiring is designed so as to tap power and GND for new PLA sensors from the factory wires of 8K OPS module connectors. Only advantage is it's cheap, but OE quality wires with correct colour coded wires in accordance with T-roc wiring diagrams.
Overall I would only recommend this AliExpress wiring to PLA upgradation only if on budget, as it needs lot of modification and cumbersome installation. I was not on budget, but I realised the shortcomings only after I got the harness in hand. Better would be to buy, OEM wiring harness for PLA like Master ciclo did or buy from kufatec. With oem wiring you all need is to route just 2 wires each front and rear utilising stock connectors.

Relevant wiring diagrams:

Punching holes in bumpers to fix PLA brackets and sensors:
For this job, I went to my VW workshop. They did a fine job, used the 26.5 mm punching tool I bought from AliExpress. But an unexpected surprise was waiting for me! The front PLA bracket holes are bigger than rear PLA brackets by 1mm!.. we realised this after punching holes in front bumper. The brackets won't fit in the holes we made.. damn VW😐

Rear brackets fitted in 26.5mm hole perfectly before.I will attribute this mistake to myself for not being meticulous in measuring the diameter of all 4 brackets before ordering the punching tool. As we had already punched the holes in front bumpers, there was no stopping or going back. We had to use 27.5mm drilling bit to enlarge the front holes. As a result the finishing of front holes was not as perfect as rear, but acceptable.

Also, the front bracket fixing is tedious, we have to dismantle the entire DRL assembly on either sides to access the fixing spot. Rear is much easier. The brackets were fixed without any additional reinforcement, OEM bracket glue is strong enough to hold for long time said my dealer. And moreover my dealer didn't allow me to use soldering gun in their premises, wanted to experiment a bit on atleast one of the brackets to fix with staples.😅

Some pictures of installation:

At the same time, I did the installation of virtual pedal sensor with module for easy open function on rear bumper. I will write the details in electric tailgate retrofit post.

Wiring:
Rear

Front

Interior:

Coding:
I took Master Ciclo's PLA retrofit post as reference for my roc. viewtopic.php?p=575987#p575987
Coding for my roc is slightly varies, this is what I did.

Code: Select all

PLA 3.0 (5QA 919 298K)
-------
Parameterisation: I didn't had to parametrise, as my module was not new. It was bought from eBay UK removed from 22 MY T-roc, already coded for that T-roc. If module is new, then without loading dataset first, module will not accept any coding.

VCDS
Coding:
ABS 03
Byte27 Bit1 ... enable
Byte24 Bit 5 enable, Bit6 enabling was rejected by my ABS unit.

Instruments 17
Byte5 Bit4 ... disable( already disabled from factory)
Byte13 Bit0 ... enable 

Steering assist 44
Byte0 Bit1 ... enable

A5 camera:
Byte12, bit6 ... enable

I coded my PLA module using ODIS-E

Well, after everything is said and done, I noticed the weird problem immediately.
The rear centre sensors started behaving oddly with continuous false red warning with chaotic beeping. No errors in scan either, it left me baffled and confused.

I started troubleshooting.. first I checked was the wiring, everything was ok. Then I started thinking in line of rear PLA sensors might be incompatible( seller sent me 34D sensors instead of expected 5Q0). Spoke to seller and he said 34D sensors are perfectly compatible with T-roc, and he suggested me to swap centre sensors with side sensors and check if problem resolves. I wasn't really convinced but I did swap sensors, and same result again! During sensor swap, I was surprised to see the rear centre sensors are 34D from factory in my roc, contrary to what ETKA says(5Q0).

Just to see what happens, I put back factory 8K module, the redlines disappeared !! and 8K OPS started working as if nothing happened 😅
8K module simply ignored the PLA wiring and coding.. a new learning :)
Now it was apparent that something was wrong with PLA module itself. Before I decided to give up on the module, I wanted to try reflash firmware and dataset to see if problem resolves. First, before reflashing firmware, I wanted to try different dataset, so I flashed PLA dataset from Golf7 using ODIS-E, recoded the module and cleared all errors.. lo and behold.. magic happened and problem solved🥳
Looks like at the end, corrupt dataset was the culprit!

Eventually, I flashed the correct dataset.

Final encoding & dataset:

Now everything works perfect 👌 For brief time I tried parallel and perpendicular parking, looks like it parks better than my wife 😁

My apologies for long post. I shared my experiences so that it might help others. 🙏

--------------
Another long post coming soon :mrgreen:
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

Very, very nice upgrade/retrofit, clear explaning of the steps.
Only option missing on my car.
Still not sure on retrofitting :lol:

Good job!! 8) 8)
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Good Job!!👍

About the coding I did in the first place, it worked correctly for me. Currently I also have Byte24 Bit6 disabled in the ABS unit, but I don't remember the reason... I will have to review the Excel files that since my hard drive died are now buried in some folder that I recovered. 😁

Since that coding and as I have been installing 'new' units over time I have had to code/adapt them in relation to PLA 3.0

The last thing I remember about my PLA 3.0 is that I updated it from D to K version.
viewtopic.php?p=591690#p591690

While I was reading your post and you mentioned that you started solving problems, I already imagined that the problem was in the data sets of that unit.
Holes of 27.5 mm at the front and 26.5 mm at the rear... it is intriguing to say the least. 😂 (what the hell)

Thank you for sharing your work this way, it's more entertaining this way, at least for me.
🙏

---
(Yesterday I gained half a kilo of weight 💪, so I'm going to do some exercise, eat good foods (that is, unprocessed) and rest for a while, I don't want to lose my new strength.😊)