Need new windscreen - does the SE TSI have rain sensors

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
KTpolo
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI

Need new windscreen - does the SE TSI have rain sensors

Post by KTpolo »

I was trying to remove the A-pillar trim to hardwire my dashcam. I pried a little too hard with the plastic trim remover tool and managed to crack the damn windscreen. :oops:

Having checked with a few windscreen repairers, it'll have to be a full windscreen replacement. My insurers (More Than) expect you to go via Autoglass. They asked on the form about things like rain sensors and I didn't know this generation of Polo even had them. Mine is a 2014 model.

Now I'm not so sure if my model has them as standard or not. How do I tell?

Also, can I insist on Autoglass using a genuine VW windscreen? I've read a few horror stories about the quality of some of the "OEM equivalent" windscreens that they use.

Thanks.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Re: Need new windscreen - does the SE TSI have rain sensors

Post by Maarten »

Does your inside mirror auto dim?
You could also check in the middle of your windscreen on the other side of your mirror.
There should be a dsrk purple spot if you are equipped with one.
KTpolo
New

Post by KTpolo »

Maarten wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:04 pm Does your inside mirror auto dim?
You could also check in the middle of your windscreen on the other side of your mirror.
There should be a dsrk purple spot if you are equipped with one.
It's very dark and raining hard at the moment, so hard to get a good look at it or get a decent photo.

From what I can tell, there isn't a sensor on it. The mirror's windscreen mounting is round, whereas the one shown in the VW Polo owners manual is a rectangle with rounded corners. I don't see anything resembling the blue diamond in the illustration either. https://www.vwpolo.net/rain_light_sensor-143.html

Having read some terrible reviews of Autoglass, I'm still nervous about the quality of service I'm going to get but my insurers (More Than) insist on you using them.
Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

When it rains, do the wipers come on?
Is your handle always in position 1?
Do you have the photosensor on the windscreen side of the inside mirror?

If you are not sure, my guess is you do not have the sensor.
KTpolo
New

Post by KTpolo »

Maarten wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:45 pm When it rains, do the wipers come on?
Is your handle always in position 1?
Do you have the photosensor on the windscreen side of the inside mirror?

If you are not sure, my guess is you do not have the sensor.
No.

No. It's normally at zero and only goes to 1 when it's raining and I manually move it there.

Not that I can see. I'll give a more definitive answer tomorrow when hopefully the rain will have stopped.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

KTpolo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:47 pm Also, can I insist on Autoglass using a genuine VW windscreen? I've read a few horror stories about the quality of some of the "OEM equivalent" windscreens that they use.

Thanks.
The bulk of automotive glass is manufactured by Pilkington and whether it’s OEM or aftermarket replacement; it’s manufactured in the same production facility using the same manufacturing process. The only real difference should be the logo in the bottom corner of the screens, and the price paid for replacement screens by insurance companies (the cost of an OEM branded screen will be higher than a Pilkington branded one). I’ve had replacement windscreens in the past and they’ve all been Pilkington branded and I’ve not had any issues with them - they’ve been fine.

If everyone wanted OEM replacement windscreens, the cost of insurance company glass claims would increase, and those increased costs would be passed onto us - the policyholders - by the insurance companies, either in the form of an increased windscreen excess or an increase in premium. My premium is high enough as it is, so I’d prefer it that insurance companies don’t have yet another reason to increase their premium rates.

I can’t remember reading of any issues with non OEM replacement windscreens from other forum members on this forum.
KTpolo
New

Post by KTpolo »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:04 pm I can’t remember reading of any issues with non OEM replacement windscreens from other forum members on this forum.
That's fine. It's just that I've been reading some horror stories about Autoglass on review sites. But I'm also aware that there are paid-for negative reviews as well as positive ones.

It's a bog standard Polo, hardly anything exotic, so I guess all should be OK.