2006 9N3 crappy heater **SORTED**

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

2006 9N3 crappy heater **SORTED**

Post by john.p.clegg »

Dear All
Finally bought/loaded the Elsawin….lots of good stuff and finally put my mind to rest re. the crappy heater in my Polo…2006 9N3

"Technical product information Transaction No.: 2018246/2
Service info: heating performance on passenger side too low Release date: 10-Dec-2009
Customer statement / workshop findings
The heat output on the driver's side and above all on the passenger's side is not adequate even after increasing the set temperature
Technical background
As a result of using radiator sealing compound available on the open market, the water channels of the heat exchanger have become partially blocked. This reduces water flow and thus the heat exchange, with the result that heat output is reduced/insufficient.
Production change
Measure
Radiator sealing compounds are not approved by Volkswagen AG. That is why this problem is not covered by warranty "

….any comments welcome, any fixes?

Also posted in CLUB POLO.UK lets see which is better?

John
Last edited by john.p.clegg on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Re: 2006 9N3 crappy heater

Post by Polo96CL »

Not heard of this issue myself John, but it does sound quite unusual.

Are they trying to suggest that there is a blockage in the heating pipes? I'm sure these have heater matrix's, although I can't be certain sorry! Have you checked everything like coolant to ensure it's all topped up?

Sorry I can't help anymore as i've never seen this issue personally, but i'm sure some of the guys on here will be able to shed a bit of light on the problem for you :wink:
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

I.ve had this problem since I bought the car,sadly only noticeable in winter,it takes ages to warm up the cabin,think the heater matrix may be clogged up...will take it out in the summer and try to back-flush it...failing that a new one should do the trick..

John
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

HEATER MATRIX!!!!!

argghh that little bugger!!....i done mine last year...

basically..you have to rip your dash off and the rest to get to it properly...and replace it

although it doesnt look like it...make sure you put it the right way up!!...the input/ouput pipe fixing thing has a slight angle towards on side...you will have to look very close to notice it...if u get it wrong it will leak again and youll have to do it again which is what i had to do!...helping out a brother from experience :) lol
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Sounds like it's exactly the same as a radiator (in your house) that's clogged with lime scale, only instead of scale it's sealant. Does the cooling fan come on all the time during the summer, more than you would expect?
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

Many thanks all,no replies on CLUB POLO.UK,have no problem with engine temperature or cooling,just the inside cabin heating...yes sounds like clogged heater matrix...can I reverse flush it out or is it as greypolo9n3 says and full day job replacing heater matrix (full dash removal)..

John :|
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Re: 2006 9N3 crappy heater **SORTED**

Post by john.p.clegg »

Well,after looking at replacement heater matrixes (sp) ranging from £20 to £80 on Fleabay...decided to try and flush the heater matrix...disconnected both pipes from the engine block and connected the garden hose..first one way...then the other..back again the first way...then the other...little bits of crap emerged but nothing noticeable...due to the amount of water flowing through it,decided that nothing was impeding the water flow so either I'd cured the problem or it was something else...reconnected the pipes and filled up the coolant...testing time......worse than before...cold air??...what could it be??...feeling the pipes to the heater...cold...feeling the pipes to the radiator...warm....disconnected the top heater pipe...no coolant...started the engine and waited...after a short time the water level in the pressurised reservoir started dropping and coolant appeared in the top hose....reconnected the top hose....later on took a trip to Chapel-en-le Frith,and was nice and toasty in no time...Heater working like it should be.....Looks like an air-lock.

John :D
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

john.p.clegg wrote:Well,after looking at replacement heater matrixes (sp) ranging from £20 to £80 on Fleabay...decided to try and flush the heater matrix...disconnected both pipes from the engine block and connected the garden hose..first one way...then the other..back again the first way...then the other...little bits of crap emerged but nothing noticeable...due to the amount of water flowing through it,decided that nothing was impeding the water flow so either I'd cured the problem or it was something else...reconnected the pipes and filled up the coolant...testing time......worse than before...cold air??...what could it be??...feeling the pipes to the heater...cold...feeling the pipes to the radiator...warm....disconnected the top heater pipe...no coolant...started the engine and waited...after a short time the water level in the pressurised reservoir started dropping and coolant appeared in the top hose....reconnected the top hose....later on took a trip to Chapel-en-le Frith,and was nice and toasty in no time...Heater working like it should be.....Looks like an air-lock.

John :D
Wahay! you got lucky!

it was well worth trying that before replacing it then
leecool
New

Post by leecool »

Hi guys, just removed and flushed the heater matrix, cant get it to seal.
The angle on the neck of the matrix points up or down, which way do you angle it please if anyone knows?
Thankyou😁
leecool
New

Post by leecool »

Hi, I have tried changing my heater matrix in my 9N3 Polo Dune, I just cannot get it to re-seal. Where the neck of the matrix petrudes from the main body it has a 5deg tilt . Should the neck be angled up or down? I have tried to get it to seal about 6 times with it facing upward without success.
Has anyone used the plastic upgrade VAG brought out to replace the aluminium pipes?
Cheers in advance for any leads.