Pauls Polo 6R Trendline conversion road to OEM++

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Paulpelz
New
Drives: Polo 6R 2012 Style 1.2

Re: Pauls Polo 6R Trendline conversion road to OEM++

Post by Paulpelz »

iichel wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:57 pm try the 6c0 diagram for the 150hp engine. hardware of the button and ECU is the same.
I thought that as well. And the engine hardware actually is the same, but the ECU I'm afraid is not. While the 6R uses T94/77 and T94/70 for start-stop, in the 6C the start-stop functionality seems to built into the BCM, since the button connects to it.
Btw same for the voltage stabilizers I'm afraid.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

If I had a 6R BlueGT you would already have sharp and clear images of all this.

You need the luck to find a BlueGT CPTA owner who will let you 'take a close look'... how about you look for a 6R BlueGT at a scrapyard? maybe you'll be lucky enough to find out some of the questions raised.
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

Thanks! Even having your help and suggerstions here is already greatly appreciated. :D :thumbsup:

I tried to find some GT owners, here in the forum and wrote to them. Also i looked for GTs on sale, of which there are exactly 2 in a 100 km radius. One of them was the failure yesterday.
And the only scrap yard I know where you are allowed to scavenge on your own is 350 km away. Last time I was there they only had two Polo 6R and both of them were CGPB cars like mine. So no luck there either. I have some other ideas, let's see where they lead to.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I asked a few friends, they will make some pictures later today.
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

Awesome! Thank you so much! :D
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

So, I discovered a few new problems:
The fan wiring is completely different to my existing wiring and doesn't require a control module anymore. Also the temperature sensor at the radiator exit is different to all the Polos I know. It isn't the double switch with the T3 plug, it's an actual sensor with a T2 plug that's reporting to the ECU instead of the fan control module. But that's easy to figure out, just annoying.

The other, more serious problem: The clutch pedal positioning sensors F36 (mounted on the inside right next to the clutch pedal) and G476 (mounted in the engine bay at the clutch sending cylinder).
I know I have F36 monted in my car, but there isn't a complete wiring diagram for that switch at all. The wiring diagram for my CGPB only calls for G476.
I don't know if I have G476 at the moment, but as far as I know these should only be monted at start-stop-equipped cars. However it seems VW uses the both names randomly and interchangeably. Now do I need only one of them? And if so which one? Or do I need both? Then how do I wire F36 in? Anyone ideas?
iichel

Post by iichel »

You'll probably have a clutch contact anyway to disable cruise control, but the only way to verify is to check the clutch slave cylinder in the engine bay and above the pedal.
The cars with start stop require the 5-pin sensor on the slave cylinder.
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

Does any of you know what is the difference between

6R0500051B and
6R0500051C ?

The PR Code ...C just says "Design 2", so does it just look better? Or is it somewhat different?
I really don't want to swap it if I can avoid it...
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

Hi all together,
here is a little update about the progress of my engine swap project.

The interior electrics are finished. It included (but wasn't limited to):
  • Rewiring of the fuel pump
  • Adding of a voltage stabilizer underneath the driver's seat
  • Rewiring of almost the entire relay board
  • Adding of a Start-Stop-Automation-Deactivation button
  • Some changes in the wiring to the BCM
  • Some changes in the wiring to the ignition switch
For now there are still some trim pieces missing, but that's something for later because I absolutely hate each and every single piece of interior trim. All of them are just always a massive pain in the lower backside to put back on.

Here's a picture of the interior during the electrics works: :shock:
Interior1.jpg
Interior1.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 381 times

Since spring is around the corner and finally the weather is becoming a little bit less horrible, I decided to focus on getting the engine bay prepped as far as possible.
That includes, again, electrics.
I removed the cover plate for the plenum chamber as well as the wiper motor, then pulled all the prepared cables from inside out into the open.
I removed basically all of the original wiring tape on the left side in an effort to get all the wiring as clean as possible.

Biggest job was to completely rewire the connector to the ECU: All the existing cables had to be extended and put into their new positions in the new connector. An awful lot of soldering.
Furthermore, one wire had to be removed, some had to be replaced, a lot had to be added.

As of now, I am in the process of sorting all the new cables and putting them into their new homes: The T14 connector to the engine harness, the completely rewired cooling fan assembly and coolant temp sensor, the wiring harness to alternator and ac compressor as well as the G701 and G294 sensors and the battery control module.

Here's a picture of the mess of cables I had to deal with:
enginecompartment1.jpg
enginecompartment1.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 381 times

And here's a picure how it looks now: Quite a bit better, even though not yet finished.
enginecompartment2.jpg
enginecompartment2.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 381 times

Though, I made a little mistake: I forgot that my lambda probes don't remain in their old positions in front of the engine. I therefor wrongfully assumed that I would be able to reuse the existing wires from the old ECU. Subsequently, I just bought very little of the correct wires, so I now have to extend them as well. Yay, even more soldering!

I really crave a break from the electrics. So from time to time I do some "recreational mechanical work" like removing the old exhaust or replacing the coolers to keep my mood up.
iichel

Post by iichel »

that's properly impressive
Paulpelz
New

Post by Paulpelz »

The old engine is out!

On that occasion I also removed the exhaust and some other bits and bobs. The transmission remains in place for now, since otherwise I fear my front wheels might fall off on the way to the workshop.
20240316_161002.jpg
20240316_161002.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 250 times
Now it's time for the remaining wiring works, then prepping front and back axle for a fast installation in the workshop.

To answer a question I get asked in public quite often: Why don't I do all these works in a workshop with a proper lift instead of lying on the street half a meter away from very active tram tracks?
The answer is cost: it is cheaper to rent an engine crane for two days as it is to rent a workshop for two hours. Since I figured I would need more that two hours to get the engine out, this was the cheaper way. Also for most of the tasks at hand I don't need a lift or special workshop tools. So while it is quite annoying to constantly get "ringed" at by the passing tram drivers this is the better way for me.

And why didn't I just buy a car with the engine I want?
Come on guys, you now this isn't the way we work here :wink: :D
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

I have to admit that it is the best DIY image I have seen in a long time. 👍 😄