Is a Garrett Powermax legal for use on UK public roads?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Ian095
New
Drives: Polo GTI 1.8 (6c)

Is a Garrett Powermax legal for use on UK public roads?

Post by Ian095 »

Been going down the rabbit hole of hearing how amazing Garrett Powermax V1 Hybrid Turbocharger(s) are and wow, it really is incredible.

Yet, something currently standing out to me is on their website is this: https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-an ... bocharger/

"Garrett Performance Kits are professional aftermarket products only designed for certain racing vehicles driven on particular racing tracks and shall only be used on racing vehicles that will never be driven on public roads or highways. Garrett Performance Kits are not legal for the use in vehicles on public roads or other roads to which public road law applies. Any vehicle modifications using Garrett Performance Kits are AT YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY and AT YOUR OWN RISK. Only use Garrett Performance Kits in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances (including but not limited to emission, noise, operating license, performance, safety, and type-approval aspects)"

This is a strong indicator that this isn't deemed fit for purpose on public roads, maybe the DVLA doesn't approve its use? Surely those with one fitted still pass their MOT given the car meets the right emissions, etc though, right?

So my question is, it doesn't appear Turbochargers themselves are illegal from what I've looked up, for using for driving on public roads in the UK, so is this purely coverage for the companies sake to say it isn't road legal and that in the UK having one that meets the requirements with other parts is, or is it genuinely just not allowed (like a decat wouldn't be for example)?
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Is a Garrett Powermax legal for use on UK public roads?

Post by Bepis »

Purely just them covering their arse legally. They're an international company so it's just a catch-all statement so nothing to be concerned with in regards to keeping the car road legal in the UK.

The last part is the main piece to take note of:
Only use Garrett Performance Kits in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances (including but not limited to emission, noise, operating license, performance, safety, and type-approval aspects)

For example, in Germany, you need to get TUV approval for any modification done to a vehicle. The closest we have to that in the UK is the MOT test and type approval/ e-Marks. I'm no expert but e-Marks are basically on everything in a car but usually only really a factor of concern on safety items like brakes, headlights, tyres etc. Think of E90-approved brake pads for example.

The only MOT items that I can think will apply to a turbo are that it's secure in the vehicle, exhaust emissions are within spec and exhaust noise emissions are reasonable.

The only other things of note are declaring it to insurance and getting the car mapped to suit.