Green stuff round the side of my tail lights . .

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

i had that all round the tailgate in my mk4,

think it was moss :? :?:
polopowah
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

most probably a case of algae rather than moss, i've just bought some used foglights + grilles and one grille has green on it abit, usually starts to develop when a car stands for a good length of time.
-Ben-
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Have you tried attacking it with boiling water and a toothbrush?

You can take the lamp off and clean it off, yes. Just make sure they're totally dry before fitting them to the car.
polopowah
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

yep they will be fine if you scrub them lots, watch out for scratching them though!
-Ben-
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

CymruPolo wrote:I heard the mechanic on 'Wheeler Dealers' (The programme on 'Discovery Home and Leisure' about restoring classic cars) saying the best way to get tail lights really clean is to stick them in the dish washer? What do you think, good idea or not?
Dunno 'bout that, but if you take them off the car and give them a bit of spit 'n' polish they should come up nice and clean. Having said that, if they can withstand the boiling water/toothbrush method of cleaning (and it'd be a bit shocking if they didn't) they could well survive a cycle in the dishwasher...

If it all goes a bit pete tong, you could see it as the ideal time to swap them for the all-red clusters from a Mk5 6NF Polo (you'll need to keep your bulb-holders for the swap) for a cleaner look. They're about £35 each from VAGParts I think :)

Plenty of "how-to" guides available on the swap to help you if you chose that route!