Fitting a BMC Induction Kit - Updated Pictures 12/08/2008

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

hmmm

Considering all the Air Filters on the market at the moment, Does everyone agree than BMC is the way to go?

Im close to purchasing mine, but im not sure as there are many brands !

What do people recommend?

Cal
2hot4u
New

spring clean

Post by 2hot4u »

I have had my bmc filter for about 10 months now and my car doesn’t seem to pull as much as it did so I think it time for the filter to be cleaned. Only Problem is I don’t know how :oops: . Can anyone enlighten me to what I need and how I clean the filter.
discod
New

Post by discod »

has any of u had ur car dyno'd with the bmc on and if so what was the output?
hugorobbos
New

Post by hugorobbos »

Pictures don't seem to work :cry:

i want to install a BMC kit this weekend. 8)

can anybody send me the pictures, blacky isn't responding to my messages :(

THNX

Rob :wink:
Silverblue
New

Post by Silverblue »

After reading about this induction kit Im also thinking installing one too, but I keep thinking about my car insurance.

I found some information about the different ones you can get. The site is

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp

I’m pretty sure it’s the CDA70-130 code for the Polo GTI as that’s the one for the Lupo GTI. Not to sure about the warning on there thou. :shock:
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

Your right about the filter been the same one as for the Lupo GTi.

As for the warning, don't listen to it. Fitting it is about a 20 minute job, including removing old air box. Just plan where you want to get your air feed from! And as for not road worthy. That is down to the fact that the standard air box has the crankcase breather feeding into it, where as the BMC doesn't. Simply buy a crankcase breather for about £10 and your car is road legal. If you want, just make sure your crankcase breather pipe has a filter on the end for when you have an MOT. :wink:

Simple 8)

Mat
Silverblue
New

Post by Silverblue »

Cheer Mat,

I will get one in the next few weeks. Did you buy yours online? How does your car go then? Does it make any extra noise? :)

Thanks for the tip on the crankcase breather pipe as I was thinking you would need to buy a filter separately. Is there a certain type you need to get? :?

Trev
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

I bought mine from larkspeed about 18month ago. The sound is just right if you ask me, but it varies on how you fit your BMC. Depending on where you get your air feed from and the typw of piping depends on the sound and note produced. There's definately more pull in my car than the standard filter!

The crankcase breather can be bought from most places. If you just measure the diameter of your breather tube and then go and choose your filter. Mines the BMC one but i've had to use some tubing from a snorkal to join them together! :roll:

Mat
LiverpoloGTi
Bronze Member

Post by LiverpoloGTi »

Hi there,
First off thanks a lot to blackgti for your great guide! (without which I would have had difficulty fitting my BMC, as the instructions that came with it were practically useless).
Secondly, I’m a complete novice and have never done anything like this before. So I thought I’d try and add a little bit more detail to this guide to help any others like me.

Things I needed to fit the BMC
10mm Wrench
10mm Spanner (used to hold the nut on the bottom of the BMC clip while you tighten the bolt on the top).
5mm Allen Key
Flat Head Screwdriver (preferably a ‘stubby’ as that engine bay is pretty cramped)
Hacksaw

40mm length (approx) of Copper Pipe
I used 15mm diameter pipe (same pipe that you should see going into and out of the radiators in your house) However this was slightly too thin to fit snugly in the crankcase breather pipe so had to use a spare bit of Brake Servo Rubber Hose which fitted perfectly over the copper pipe and went tightly into the crankcase breather.

Difficulties I had while fitting
The hardest part for me when fitting my BMC was removing the OEM air intake piping. As I couldn’t get good access to the bolt securing it to the chassis. That was before I realised that Power Steering fluid reservoir could just be slotted out. Once this was out of the way the bolt was easy to remove.
I also had a little bit of difficulty getting the OEM air box off. That was because I tried to removed the air box in one piece, I just undid all of the visible bolts that secured it and struggled trying to yank it out for a few minutes with no joy. I then opened the air box up and found another bolt that secured it to the chassis. Once this was undone the box came out easily.

Other than that the fitting was real easy (following blackgti's guide) and in total took little over an hour.
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Quick question, There's a pipe that goes into the Manifold from the Original air feed, what would replace that after fitting the BMC ??
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Also i forgot to ask, Does anyone no how you go about cleaning the BMC ?
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

Omz_6N2 wrote:Quick question, There's a pipe that goes into the Manifold from the Original air feed, what would replace that after fitting the BMC ??
That pipe doesn't go into the manifold, it just goes into the engine cover.

You just slot that out of the engine cover, nothing needs to go over the end of that pipe
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

Nice DIY-guide, but just 1 tiny piece of critic, why place the piping over/on the exhaust manifold? The manifold get's hot as hell, which heatens the pipe, and therefor the inlet-air which enters the filter and engine. And hot air has less density, and therefor decreases performance (a tiny bit, but any bit is a bit ;))
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Has anyone fitted this to a 1.4 16v ?? if so would you no what the diameter of the throttle body is ?
Ricky_Lee
New

Post by Ricky_Lee »

hi i am new here and wanted to know how to fit a BMC on the 9n2 polo, can any of u help me out with pics please, it is a 1.4s polo
cheers :wink: