How do i get more power??

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

but yes, you still need a inlet manifold for the 40's. Mine is by SORG, cost me 50 squid. advertise on club polo & porka & here & I'm sure you will find something! 8)
serge pot
New

Post by serge pot »

well the cheapest option is swapping your 1.0 for a 1.3 or 1.4 engine,with a suitable carb .

myself have polo mk2 with a 1.4 engine with a grinded and polished mechanical head ,with 286 cam ,4-1 tezet manifold ,double dellorto carbs 40mm.it delivers a 140 hp on the krank .got an ahz gearbox on it ,shifting at 7800rpm is at his best can run about 9400rpm .with normal sporty driving and normal rev (4000rpm )shifting can run 13km on a liter fuel .

who says tuning is fuel sucking doesn't know much about tuning .keep always one thing in mind if you accelerate keep the fuel air ratio(lamda 1)for max power . :idea:
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

ok ok..... this topic is confusing, so help me out.....
list the things that i cud do my self, cheeply, or jus uprated parts?!?! thanx guys!! :D
mk2matt
Silver Member

Post by mk2matt »

hi chaps,
SERGE- where did you get your cam from as im after 1 for my car?
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

well, my carbs just gone and died on me, the butterfly and linkage(?) had been playing up for a while and now its finally gone completly, wont start and if it does itll stall straight away. think its a sign for me to put twin 40's on. couple of sets on ebay goin cheap so fingers crossed.
serge mate, im gonna get a 1.3 as apparently they drop straight in (?) but ill be crippled by insurence so itll have to wait a while.
thanks for everyones advice.
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

D4V1D wrote:well, my carbs just gone and died on me, the butterfly and linkage(?) had been playing up for a while and now its finally gone completly, wont start and if it does itll stall straight away. think its a sign for me to put twin 40's on. couple of sets on ebay goin cheap so fingers crossed.
serge mate, im gonna get a 1.3 as apparently they drop straight in (?) but ill be crippled by insurence so itll have to wait a while.
thanks for everyones advice.
before you think about getting twin 40's think about this.
1)most of the ones that are available second hand are jetted for 1600 to 2000 cc engines and will run far too rich and you might be lucky if you can get then to idle properly.
2)to get a set of twin 40's correctely jetted and set up can easily cost £200-300 depending on how much needs changing.
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

hello optima, thanks for the advice, the problem is, is that my current carbs not working so i have to get a new one at least, by the time its sat on the rolling road making sure that carbs set up right with the K&N and the new exhaust i might as well get the twin 40's for it.
almost forgot, what would people recomend?, delorto VHLA twin 40 or a weber DCOE, thanks
serge pot
New

Post by serge pot »

well i put an gk head on a 1.4 abd engine (modified the pistons ,becaus the valves came deaper)it's a schrick cam 286 inlet and outlet .
if you want a nice bit of power out of your 1.0 engine .its do able to get around 100 hp .
if you got a hydraulic head put in a 276 cent cam
if you got a mechanical head use a 280 cent cam
polish the ports maximal .take a manifold with a single down pipe .make on the down pipe a steal plate to fix a kkk turbo (small version )make from a steel plate(1mm ) a copie from a head gasket .us 2 headgaskets .
oil to the turbo can be taken from a oil sensor .oil return straight into the oil pan .make for the webers an air collector box (wich even fits over the breathing holes from the floater rooms ) so the float rooms can be pressurrised at the same pressure as the turbo delivers.
use an intercooler from a g40 mk 2 not mk 3 .place this one in the front below the radiator .
noiw you are almost finished the down pipe is a bit tricky to make ,but is doable .set the poressure on 0,8 bar.
use an oil cooler (9 row intercooler without thermosat)
now the tricky part for the carbs :28mm choke ,175aircorrector jet,125main jet,f9 emulsion tube .
on the ignition use amushroom from a saab 900 turbo and connect the vacuum on cylinder 2 and 3 .air for the brakes on cylinder 4
you can run 8000 rpm with ease but shift at 7000 us a gu tranny
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

ok...... :shock:

and how much is this all gonna cost.... TURBO??? will the internals handle a turbo?? :?

Kr!s
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

ha ha, go on Kris, get a turbo!

like the sig btw, what program did u make it in?

Sergepot u got any pics of your car? sounds like a beast!
mk2matt
Silver Member

Post by mk2matt »

SERGE POT: what make is the cam as i need a cam as im fitting a TSR head, which has been polished,ported and skimmed.
serge pot
New

Post by serge pot »

in holland we don't know tsr (what is it )and are u running on a single carb or original injection?

this is mine with the 1.6 with hh head on weber 40 dcoe with 312 cam 170 hp on the krank .the engine did'nt survive 9000 rpm shifting

nower days with a 1.3 with fireblade carbs
http://www.steilheck.nl/movies/GTr.mpgthe sound
Deevub
Getting There!

Post by Deevub »

Phat! like the video. super clean bay too - nice work mate
mk2matt
Silver Member

Post by mk2matt »

dont worry about the cam now, will find 1 myself.
nice car, sounds ok.
will 1 day put mine on here but it will be abit loud
polosteve
New

Post by polosteve »

Going back to Kris's question, this may sound silly but if your 1l is a 4speed fit a 5speed, Makes a hell of a difference(well twin 40's would prob make more of a diff)