Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Re: Gearboxes, gear oil, and levels

Post by Le_Combattant »

JiSingh1 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:35 am Would i be correct in saying this:
https://www.toolsinfoweb.co.uk/content/ ... %20OIL.PDF

Is the correct data sheet and still valid for G052527.
If so, 27.6mm²/s at 40°c seems a lot lower than most others.
The oil i did use (Mannol 8104) is >50mm²/s..

Could that be the reason for poor gear changes?
Well done for the spec.

It could be the reason, but to know, you have to change your oil.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:05 am Really, it is down to the additive package in the oil, as @alexperkins said earlier.

A long time ago, when I was changing from maybe Quantum branded oil to Fuchs when Quantum had moved away from using Fuchs, I did email Fuch UK sales about "is brand X which is known to be supplied by Fuchs, the same oil as I'd be getting if I had bought this same oil branded by Fuchs?" - the answer was a firm "NO", "we only ever sell oils with the premium additive package under our own branding, all other re-sellers/re-brander we supply, have a different additive package tailored to suit the area of the market that that brand is aimed at."

Which makes a lot of sense, to be honest I can't work out now why I thought that I'd ever end up with "YES" being the answer, but I did feel the need to try as I was just trying to end up buying my chosen Fuchs version from the cheapest source having read lots of chat on this on VW Group forums.

So there you have it, what is in a tin is "oil" + a "additive package", the oil if it is the exact same as supplied under its own brand is a fixed item/price, the additive is the part of the product that adds extra cost, so it is there that savings can be made while keeping the basic "spec" of the product the same.

Edit:- and as far as I'm concerned, I tend to only ever use a few brands of petrol as it is the additive package that turns the basic "all brands" fuel part into acceptable petrol.
Very interesting. Thank you for the feedback.

Which brands you tend to go ?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've not needed to buy any gearbox etc fluids for my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI, but I have done for my 2011 Audi S4 gearbox and rear differential - and I used ebay, hopefully buying well below main dealer prices for the genuine VW Group products.

I'd doubt if my wife's Polo 6 speed gearbox uses the same fluid as my S4 6 speed gearbox of rear differential - life is normally not that helpful!
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:05 pm I've not needed to buy any gearbox etc fluids for my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI, but I have done for my 2011 Audi S4 gearbox and rear differential - and I used ebay, hopefully buying well below main dealer prices for the genuine VW Group products.

I'd doubt if my wife's Polo 6 speed gearbox uses the same fluid as my S4 6 speed gearbox of rear differential - life is normally not that helpful!
You may have been lucky.

Official VW Oil's price on eBay are just crazy. Equivalent or, more expensive than the dealer it self.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

For info: Wolf Ecotech Premium 75W
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (64.51 KiB) Viewed 938 times
Wolf is also one of the official oil supplier to VW (engine oil).

BUT ! Fuchs is API GL4 and Wolf is API GL4+.
JiSingh1
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0TSI 110BHP

Post by JiSingh1 »

I think as a G052527 replacement, the best one is either Fuchs, Ravenol or Miller.

Reason being - OEM is 27.6mm²/s at 40°c according to the spec I found & posted earlier..

Fuchs is 40.8mm²/s at 40°c
Ravenol is 35.1mm²/s at 40°c
Miller EE Performance is 31.2 cSt (mm²/s) at 40°c

So Ravenol or miller might be better than the Fuchs?
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

JiSingh1 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:04 pm I think as a G052527 replacement, the best one is either Fuchs, Ravenol or Miller.

Reason being - OEM is 27.6mm²/s at 40°c according to the spec I found & posted earlier..

Fuchs is 40.8mm²/s at 40°c
Ravenol is 35.1mm²/s at 40°c
Miller EE Performance is 31.2 cSt (mm²/s) at 40°c

So Ravenol or miller might be better than the Fuchs?
I don't know Miller's oil. Not know at all in France, at least.

Lower you are, better it should be.
Wolf seems to be the most appropriate but, it's API GL4+, but I found nothing about this oil standard.
JiSingh1
Getting There!

Post by JiSingh1 »

Le_Combattant wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:11 pm I don't know Miller's oil. Not know at all in France, at least.

Lower you are, better it should be.
Wolf seems to be the most appropriate but, it's API GL4+, but I found nothing about this oil standard.
Miller is a UK brand that is highly respected from my research.

GL4+ is marketing I think, just to make it sound better or more higher performing. Definitely has the best viscosity though, but it is very hard to source in Uk.

Currently debating between miller or ravenol
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

And why not Wolf ?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Le_Combattant wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:26 pm You may have been lucky.

Official VW Oil's price on eBay are just crazy. Equivalent or, more expensive than the dealer it self.
Yes I agree, it is always better to start off by finding out the VW Group dealership prices before looking for "bargains" on ebay.

When I bought both the trans fluids, there were old stock - but newer than my car I was using them in, but cheaper than what the dealership was charging.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:06 am
Le_Combattant wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:26 pm You may have been lucky.

Yes I agree, it is always better to start off by finding out the VW Group dealership prices before looking for "bargains" on ebay.

When I bought both the trans fluids, there were old stock - but newer than my car I was using them in, but cheaper than what the dealership was charging.
And some times, at least on eBay, you cand found some nice counterfeit product also.
JiSingh1
Getting There!

Post by JiSingh1 »

Le_Combattant wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:36 am And why not Wolf ?
I was just trying to find products within UK, not any that I have to import. Wolf isn't available here.

Also.. the oil seems to be the same as what Ford use. Same density viscosity as in the VW link I sent.
https://www.msds.ford.com/documents/505862%20A_GBEN.pdf
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

JiSingh1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:26 am
Le_Combattant wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:36 am And why not Wolf ?
I was just trying to find products within UK, not any that I have to import. Wolf isn't available here.

Also.. the oil seems to be the same as what Ford use. Same density viscosity as in the VW link I sent.
https://www.msds.ford.com/documents/505862%20A_GBEN.pdf
Okey so even oil market seems to be a mess around Europe :roll:

" Same density viscosity as in the VW link I sent."

So it's seems good ? Or did I miss something ?
JiSingh1
Getting There!

Post by JiSingh1 »

Le_Combattant wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:49 am Okey so even oil market seems to be a mess around Europe :roll:

Oh yes, it's a mess. There is meguin GT3, very good oil too .. but also can't source.

I mean it seems like the Ford gearbox oil is the exact same as the genuine VW oil.
So if I can source the Ford oil, it might be cheaper than the VW oil. Might ring up a Ford dealer and see what they say.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

JiSingh1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:30 pm
Le_Combattant wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:49 am Okey so even oil market seems to be a mess around Europe :roll:

Oh yes, it's a mess. There is meguin GT3, very good oil too .. but also can't source.

I mean it seems like the Ford gearbox oil is the exact same as the genuine VW oil.
So if I can source the Ford oil, it might be cheaper than the VW oil. Might ring up a Ford dealer and see what they say.
Oh ok, now I see where you want to go.
Seem to be a good idea.

I will stay with my Fuchs oil since I have 3 brand new bottle of 1l left at home.

But I will continue my own research