Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
GTI JOE
New

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by GTI JOE »

My oil issues were resolved last year with the local dealer replacing the breather hose...touch wood all is well :)
B1ueSteel
New

Post by B1ueSteel »

My 61 plate polo gti had quite high oil usage but after the first 2500 miles it seems to have stopped. Not sure if the dealer did anything during the service. Should I be in the clear?
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Post by CANDYMAN »

What would you guys say about the 1.4 tsi in the new Beetle? Is the engine reliable now? :wink:
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

CANDYMAN wrote:What would you guys say about the 1.4 tsi in the new Beetle? Is the engine reliable now? :wink:
Yes - assume that to be the 160 PS one, should not be any problems now, oil consumption issues are seemingly tailing off somewhat, but that was just on the 180 PS GTI unit.
bullwinkle
New

Post by bullwinkle »

I got my Gti back on Wednesday after they eventually agreed to a new engine.

So far, so good. Pickup from low revs seems much cleaner and no clouds of smoke when I accelerate hard.

It really is scary how little some dealerships know about this issue and what some people are being asked to go through.
Quarkmin
New

Post by Quarkmin »

My 62 plate GTI was using a lot of oil after only a few months. Dealer made me do the consumption test but said it was acceptable. Over the next few months it got worse and started producing smoke under acceleration. Took it back and they made me do the consumption test again. This time it failed, and it sounds like they're looking at a new engine. I can't believe how widespread this problem seems to be!
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Quarkmin wrote:My 62 plate GTI was using a lot of oil after only a few months. Dealer made me do the consumption test but said it was acceptable. Over the next few months it got worse and started producing smoke under acceleration. Took it back and they made me do the consumption test again. This time it failed, and it sounds like they're looking at a new engine. I can't believe how widespread this problem seems to be!
I am astonished that a 62 plate has issues to the extent that engine replacement is being considered.
Quarkmin
New

Post by Quarkmin »

skipster wrote:
Quarkmin wrote:My 62 plate GTI was using a lot of oil after only a few months. Dealer made me do the consumption test but said it was acceptable. Over the next few months it got worse and started producing smoke under acceleration. Took it back and they made me do the consumption test again. This time it failed, and it sounds like they're looking at a new engine. I can't believe how widespread this problem seems to be!
I am astonished that a 62 plate has issues to the extent that engine replacement is being considered.
Even being a 62 plate it came with the older CAVE engine. Had a call from the dealer today saying my new engine has arrived from VW so hopefully I'll get it back soon! I'm driving a Golf Plus courtesy car at the moment - now that's a boring car if ever I've driven one!
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

Mine looks to be ok now just done 3k and on oil used
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

tt509 wrote:Mine looks to be ok now just done 3k and on oil used
Good news! I have done 2,700 miles on new engine and used approx 0.3/litre. A far cry from the 1 litre per 600 miles before engine was replaced. I am expecting usage to tail off gradually as mileage increases.
Quarkmin
New

Post by Quarkmin »

Ok, so I got my car back with its new engine, and obviously I was very pleased. It seemed better, but on my way home from work today I realised once again I was leaving clouds of smoke behind me when pulling away, so I guess I'll have to take it back again! Why can't VW just fix this problem properly??
Quarkmin
New

Post by Quarkmin »

Quarkmin wrote:
Ok, so I got my car back with its new engine, and obviously I was very pleased. It seemed better, but on my way home from work today I realised once again I was leaving clouds of smoke behind me when pulling away, so I guess I'll have to take it back again! Why can't VW just fix this problem properly??
And today it went back to the dealer after it started badly misfiring. EPC and Engine Management lights both came on. I'm sure one day they'll fix it so it actually works. :roll:
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

Just seen the thread and would like to add - my '61 plate GTI has just had a replacement engine @ 21k. I went through the rigmarole of the 2 oil consumption tests and then the breather pipe mod, and then when that didn't work 2 more oil consumption tests leading finally to a whole new engine.

Surprise, surprise a few weeks later - on my way down to Gatwick to catch a flight for our honeymoon the oil light came on and I had to pull off the M1 and grab some oil. The car has used 4 litres in 2000 miles since the new engine. Car is going back in now on the 22nd for it's 3rd set of consumption tests and maybe yet another new engine.

To compound matters - the DSG which has always been slow, inept and a general pain in the fecking arse to use (and I'm no club foot, have motorsport background) has now started juddering/fluttering when setting off at moderate speed. I do mean moderate, not lighting up the tyres but sort of, "pulling out of junction" speeds that you would do on a normal commute.

I had the car back to the dealers within the first month of ownership 4 times to have various components in the drivers seat replaced to stop it squeaking incessantly and when that didn't work they replaced the whole seat! I'm a moderately big bloke (like 16stone and 6ft) but by no means morbidly obese or anything.

The car is contract hire and we're in the process of trying to reject it but the finance company have, "rejected my rejection" stating that they upheld their part of the bargain. We're currently building a case against them but it's a long uphill process and all the time I have to live with this car that is so obviously a lemon.

IF my next car is a VAG, it'll be diesel and manual!

MB
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

1 litre of oil after just over 2000 miles from new in mine. 2013 GTI
A little higher than I would have liked but within spec looking at the conversation here.
More worryingly when I checked it was bone dry and no warning lights had ever come on.
Will be checking up every 500 from here on in.
mousebat
New

Post by mousebat »

If it starts gulping oil make sure you try reject the car ASAP.

I've just got the word from VWFS that we can't reject our contract hire car as it's nearly 2 years into contract. VW customer services only have the power over VWFS for the 1st year. I'm now stuck with a car that costs me an extra 5-7 quid in oil every time I fill the fuel tank (1 litre of the recommended fully synth oil is about 12-15 quid?). VW spec is 1 litre every 600 miles, a full tank lasts me around 300-350 miles depending on what type of driving I'm doing. These engine's are not economical if they use the equivalent cost of an extra gallon of fuel every 300 miles...

Putting a litre of oil in ever second fill up is not acceptable in a modern engine - I've got a 1989 supercharged mk1 toyota mr2 sat in my garage that barely touches oil and it get's a damn good thrashing up to the red line almost every time it comes out.

At the latest oil consumption test it only used a 3rd of a litre in 600 miles - but this was due to me only doing nice sedate motorway miles, not the normal mix of town, inner city and motorway it usually gets. I'm passed it now though - every time it needs oil I'm going to go to my local dealer and demand they fill it up or demand yet another oil consumption test!

The dry clutch DSG is like having a learner driver do the clutch for you - it's a continual guessing game to see how quick or slow it's going to disengage/engage - there's just no consistency.

The seats aren't anywhere near as supportive as the ones you get in the golf/rocco and the handling isn't anything to write home about - the electronic fake diff just scrubs off any speed you wanted to carry through a corner and ends up affecting your line in an unpredictable way.

Bottom line is I should have got a golf GTD instead. I waited 9 months for the Polo and it's been a disappointment from start to finish. I'm not going VAG again any time soon, definitely not going small displacement petrol turbo and absolutely never touching robotised gearboxes again.