Fabia VRS retro fitting of Cruise Control

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Air Techie
New

Fabia VRS retro fitting of Cruise Control

Post by Air Techie »

I have compiled and sucessfully fitted cruise to my VRS, and this guide details how.

THIS FIT SHOULD ONLY BE UNDERTAKEN BY MECHANICALLY AND ELECTRICALLY COMPETENT PEOPLE.

THIS IS OFFERED AS A GUIDE AND NO RESPONSIBLITY CAN BE HELD BY THE WRITER FOR INCORRECT INSTALLATION.

THIS ARTICLE CAN NOT BE USED FOR PROFIT.

Fabia vRS cruise control. (should fit polo & ibiza - although not tried)

Parts required ,
1J0 971 425 - Loom (from a VW dealer) about £20

6Q0 937 702A - Connector (Skoda)

2x 000 979 131 - Wires and terminals (Skoda) all Skoda bits about £55

8L0 953 513J 01C - Switch (Skoda)

Some wire (around 0.35mm gauge) (anywhere) -

A rough guide.

There are a couple of different stages to this job. The main one is making a wiring loom up - See below for wiring diagram link.
What you need to make is a loom which connects the functions of the switch to the central electrics control unit (which is under the driver’s panel by your knees, black square control unit).

You will notice on this control unit there are two rows of connectors one on each side. They are both labelled XS 1, 2, 3 etc. You will see slot XS3 is vacant; this is the slot for cruise.

The six pin brown connector you have will slot in there. All you need to do is join this plug to the Golf wiring loom using the Skoda terminals. I soldered all the joins in the wires; however decent crimps may be used.

Hopefully the diagram is easy enough to read, but basically just link up for example terminal 2 on the brown plug to terminal 5 on the black plug on the VW loom that slots into the cruise switch.

You will also need to run a wire from the engine ECU in the engine bay through the bulkhead (I used the washer pipe grommet behind the glove box), on the engine ECU it is pin 14 which is a solid white wire (on the bottom ECU plug, solid white wire) this needs to be joined to terminal 3 in the 6 pin brown connector and pins 4 and 7 on the VW Loom (black and yellow wires) to the cruise switch.

The only addition then is a fused ignition supply to pin 6 on the VW loom; I used the ignition live at the brake light switch for this. I think it was the blue wire with a yellow stripe – it is the one that shows 12v when the ignition is at position 2. If you remove the plug from the brake light switch, make sure you put it back….I forgot until I’d put all the facias back on!!

Next is fitting the switch itself, the switch is part of a replacement indicator stalk, you need to remove the air bag (more detail below) and the steering wheel. Then the upper and lower column shrouds and the airbag slip ring, don’t unplug it, just unclip it and let it hang, do not turn the slip ring, best advice is use a bit of masking tape to it doesn’t turn. The switches come off together.

They are held on by a 4mm Allen key which you can see from the top.

Air bag
Disconnect your battery before you start playing with this.
Quite tricky this one, there are two holes in the back of the steering wheel 180 degrees away from one another, you need to insert a smallish flat blade screwdriver in there and release the spring clips holding the airbag on, they need to be flicked to the side against a spring.
If you get stuck on this check out this, it’s for a golf but identical to ours:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/control_stalk.htm

Then the engine ECU needs to be programmed for cruise.
The engine ECU (01) needs to activated, this is done by entering the login (11) code -11463.
I used my Vag-com, however on later cars (late 2004/2005) cars this can only be done by a dealer using their VAS computer.

Wiring Diagram:
[img=http://img112.exs.cx/img112/372/vrscrui ... 6mk.th.jpg]
Ross Clarke
Bronze Member

Post by Ross Clarke »

Worth noting that IF the Polo is like the Ibiza, cruise isnt the same, switch is different, not sure how that would effect the install.
Air Techie
New

Post by Air Techie »

Nice to see you Ross.

I concur, this has been fitted to a Fabia VRS. Fitment to the ibiza and polo may be possible using this, however minor discrepancies may be encountered.

If you're unsure don't try it without getting further technical advice.