Mk1/2/3 headgasket change - the quick way

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Mk1/2/3 headgasket change - the quick way

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I wrote this guide for someone a while ago, thought it may be more useful in a thread here than lurking in a random thread in another forum. This covers changing the headgasket the quickest way possible - it doesn't cover replacing the cam belt, water pump, inlet / exhaust gaskets, having the head skimmed, valves lapped in etc, just the quickest and easiest way to do the gasket if you're absolutely sure that everything else is in good working order. Of course, having followed this guide it would then be relatively easy to go on and do all the above, but haynes will happily walk you through that lot ;)

General advice, if you're not comfortable with where all the wires and tubes go, get yourself some tags which you can tie to everything with a description of where it plugs into - makes it all a lot less hit and miss :) Also get a nifty little box with compartments for all your nuts and bolts, and stick a note in each compartment telling you what the nuts and bolts are for. Really does help.

Right, here goes:
Unplug HT leads and any electro-trickery on the manifold / throttle body (inlet manifold and a couple of wires on the mk2, will be different for the mk3 but not enormously I shouldn't think)
Remove fuel lines and similar from carb/throttle body - anything connecting it to the rest of the car.
Remove the exhaust clamp/unbolt the exhaust downpipe, release it from the manifold.
Loosen the camshaft sprocket bolt - easiest way to do this is stick it in gear and use a breaker bar against it, but I'd definately advise replacing the cambelt if you do this, you have to put a lot of strain on it. Otherwise you'll have to make up a tool to hold the wheel in place through the holes in the sprocket.. although I've cracked a sprocket trying to do this so be careful...
Loosen the water pump bolts and turn it anticlockwise as viewed from the timing belt end of the engine. Easiest way to do this is take a breaker bar or similar and a mallet, rest one end of the breaker bar on the far side of the pump and tap sharply with the mallet to get the pump moving anticlockwise (as viewed from timing belt end of the engine). You'll need to give it a fairly solid tap to get it loose, but after that it'll start turning easier.
Remove the cambelt and the cambelt sproket from the head.
Loosen and remove the head bolts in the sequence that haynes manual gives - keep to that sequence or you'll risk warping the head.
The head can now be lifted off along with both manifolds, distributer etc that haynes tells you to remove. It's a good idea to take them off anyway and replace the gaskets, but that's pretty much optional if you're doing an emergency head gasket change. Does only take a couple of minutes and the gaskets are cheap, so I would advise doing it unless you're really sure of their condition.
Replace everything with new head gasket and head bolts. If you don't know when the last time your timing belt and water pump were changed, I really do advise doing them while you're at it.. I recently made the mistake of believing my waterpump to be fine and not in need of replacement, and ended up with the cam belt guide ring snapping off and the belt trying to burrow it's way through the engine.. not good. Don't be tempted to re use the head bolts, you'll realise when you undo them quite how tight they are on there and they've been that tight for many, many years - it puts a lot of strain on them, they lose their elasticity, they become brittle and they're likely to snap / come loose if re used.. leaves you with a very unpleasant mess for the sake of £10 worth of bolts.

As usual, let me know if I've missed anything, if it's been helpful, unhelpful, decidedly average, whatever.. as I said, I wrote this a few months ago and just decided to edit/relocate it as a few people have been asking about head gaskets since then.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

looks like that's going to be handy in the week(s) to come ---- couple Qs

i keep seeing about having to remove the camshaft sprocket, but it's never explained why. is it neccessary? looks like an utter pain in the chuddies.

how much is a replacement water pump? (think i'm still on the original, and if it's seen as much gunk as the thermostat has, then god help me)

;) cheers
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

b*******s, i should have re-read this first before going gung ho...... wasted a good 20 minutes figuring out how to remove the distributor and marking up the alignment :D

but, seriously, how much is a replacement waterpump, roughly?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Oh, sorry, didn't notice this. Guess it's a bit late for you now, but for anyone who may have been wondering:

It is necessary to remove the camshaft sprocket, as otherwise you won't be able to pull the head off as it will be attached to the cam belt cover.
Water pumps are £18.75 + vat from GSF, don't know what they are from VW but I'd expect it to be quite a bit more expensive. If you don't know when the water pump was last replace, please, please replace it - if it siezes up, or falls apart and snaps your timing belt, you can say bye bye engine.. and it does happen :?
k4lps
Bronze Member

Post by k4lps »

what size spline socket fot the head bolts?
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

give me a few hours and i'll be able to tell you - aim to get the head on and as much else as possible tonight :D
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Wahay, progress at last :D
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

boll0cks - stuck at the cam belt changing stage. think the gits who did it last didn't just make the belt itself too tight but spaffed the fanbelt pulley bolts too.

I *think* its a 10 or 11mm, possibly a 13 (VW love those sizes for no easily explainable reason). You may get away with a 3/8" or 1/2" one if you experiment (i've used those sockets with 10 and 13mm bolts with quite a lot of success - they're very slightly undersize so grip more tightly than a proper metric one would!)

.... actually considering the difference in how a socket and a spline work (inside vs outside), and the snugness of fit the metric ones gave me (hard to pull it back out again!) i WOULDNT reccommend trying the imperial ones.
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

actually, having been rifling thru my tools for stuff, the 12mm spline has got an awful lot of oil on it... so it's quite possibly that one

i'd get your new head bolts first and check them against it however!