Help needed in using a chamois (yes, really!!!)

Detailing & Bodywork
dxg

Post by dxg »

Woah! The scope of this whole aspect is just starting to dawn on me. But, still, I'm starting to understand why, as the shear satisfaction of having a waterspot-free car is great. I can't wait to find out what it feels like to walk up to a perfectly clean car!!

Anyway, can I ask more questions, before retreating into background to absorb some more knowledge from this thread...

Basically, am I correct in thinking that if I use tar/bug remover, this will strip the polish and leave dull spots?? Will 3M glaze return this, or will I need some other polish?

Am I also correct in thinking that a full Zymol treatment will strip all polish (HD cleanese), then replace it with wax (the Zymol itself) - so an intermediate stage (i.e. 3M hand glaze) would be required to remove/fill/take the edges off stratches and swirl marks (from the dealer's valet :x ?

If so, should this be done during the Zymol process (the idea of this worries me - from the Zymol instructions, it sounds as if the paint is completely unprotected after HD'ing (hence the warning to complete the process and not leave it like that) - would glazing at this stage cause damage??

Or should it be done just after a normal wash (i.e. normal halfords stuff, then bug/tar remover), leaving the full Zymol process for another day. Therefore, is it a good idea to leave the car with just the 3M glaze on it, or should a temporary coat of the Zymol wax be applied?

Also (while I'm here!), can you confirm that HD cleanese is similar to a clay bar - i.e. it could be a first step in any treatment to remove _everything_ from the paint. Or am I completely wrong about this??

Sorry guys for all the questions, but you seem to know so much, and I'm terrified of screwing the car up.

Deek. (wonders off to sniff the tub and dream of the day he'll have the confidence to use it...)
Sadgeek
Getting There!

Post by Sadgeek »

I must admit that I have also bought one of the Zymol starter packs, but I haven't found that the results warrant spending so much on the product, compared to autoglym

Applying/de-hazing the wax is also a pita, compared to autoglym and the results seems comparable.

I guess I must be doing something wrong, since everyone here is more than happy with zymol, so I'll try the routine mentioned previously and see if that helps....

Mind you, normally trying to find 6-8 hours when it doesn't rain/kids don;t want to go out somewhere/wife doesn't find some jobs around the house for me is a feat in itself :lol:
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

God my arms hurt this morning! I'm glad I didn't HD Clense as well!

Right Deek...

Wash

Clay (Clay pulls out embedded particles from the paint, it actually yanks them out of the paint... all the polishing in the world won't remove these bits... just try rubbing your hand over the lower part of your driver's door and it should feel rough. It won't after claying)

Get yourself some 3M Perfect It III Compound (for hand use). This will get rid of all your major scratches and swirl marks (just be carefull not to rub too hard with it!) - Honestly mate, this will do the business and your car will look dull but scratch and swirl free once you've finished.

Then Glaze it with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

Then HD Clense it (remembering that the polish that you've just applied is just that - Polish. Polish should leave nothing behind. All it is is an abrasive that removes dead paint and blends paint over scratches and swirl marks).

Then, the most important bit (which until only late last year I didn't really understand) is to give it a good coating of wax.

Polish removes. Wax replaces.

To be honest, I don't think the HD Clense is neccessary after Hand Glazeing it but Zymol suggest that if it's not used at first, the wax may not adhere to the paint properly. I don't know.

REMEMBER: Always rub polish/wax in straight lines (usually along the length of the car) and buff it off again in straight lines. This drastically reduces the chance of swirl marks.

Try and use terry towel cloths to buff off the polish (but remember to exclusively use the microfibre towel to buff off the Zymol Wax).

The wax doesn't need as much buffing as the polish (especially the 3M Perfect It III Compound) as you are not removing it, you are spreading it around. You just need to get it shiney.

I wish I had someone to help me when I was starting to get interested in car care... I made SUCH a ballsup with my black MK4 Polo... That's why I had to learn very quickly! Basically, I exclusively used Autoglym and I also bought a 12v Halfords Motorised Polisher... NOT a good idea! I had the worst swirl marks I had EVER seen, all over my car... And as much as I tried, I couldn't polish them out :cry:

So, I went to a bodyshop suppliers and they sorted me out with the 3M stuff... I can't begin to explain how good this stuff is... The Compound removed all the swirl marks, scratches (that were SO noticable on a black car) etc etc... It left the car dull, but then the Glaze brought it back so it looked new again!!

Anyway, I didn't really know anything about protecting the paint, so I just kept glazing... This was OK, but after doing all this, you really need to wax the car so that you don't get water marks, dead bugs wash off more easilly etc etc...

Anyway... I hope this helps.

Good Luck... Keep asking questions if you are unsure about anything.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Yup - plenty of information there.

I just need to go away and work out a strategy (it's that serious).

I guess I'll experiment on the rear bumper - at least that's the smallest bit to repsray if it all goes pear-shaped. But then, the bonnet is in the worse state.

Hmmm....

Deek.
(Just looking forward to seeing what the neighbours think of watching someone smearing the whole of their car with "unknown substances" (to them, anyway). The connotations are endless... And my neighbours are rather noisy...)
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

imho the most important areas to get perfect are the drivers door, bonnet and roof as theese are the ones you either see when approaching the car or you see while driving, oh and i love seeing the water beaded when its been raining
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

I stopped using acid based wheel cleaners as over time on my Old Golf it stripped some of the lacquer from the wheel. This effect is reduced if you mix the cleaner with water but my best advice would be to use soapy water only, use HD cleanse or this 3m stuff to remove the ground in brakedust and then give your alloys a good going over with wax.

Next time you clean your alloys the hose will be enough to remove most of the grime followed by a wipe over with your soapy sponge, then rinse down.

Waxing and polishing should be an easy job, if you're knackered after a car cleaning session then your applying too much wax. Polishing should not be strenous unless of course if you try polishing and washing your car in the sun and that is a no no anyway, always wash and polish in the shade if possible. Remember a little wax goes a long way.

Des
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Josh_PoloGTi wrote:
Polish removes. Wax replaces.

*and*

REMEMBER: Always rub polish/wax in straight lines (usually along the length of the car) and buff it off again in straight lines. This drastically reduces the chance of swirl marks.
That's just the truth, right there. Universally applicable too, no matter what you use - This is how to do it.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Josh - do you still have the packaging?

the reason i'm asking is because if you can get a product code i may be able to get this at trade prices! :D (my dad buys and sells a lot of things with 3M at work)
Sadgeek
Getting There!

Post by Sadgeek »

Josh, tried your routine, and it worked a treat. Think my problem was not using the Zymol mf wipe for the wax, just a towel.

Took about four hours in total, including cleaning the rub-strips/windows etc.

Now, any volunteers to help do a Passat estate? Alternatively if anyone can recommend an easy way to get the car to the land of the midnight sun... :lol:
Phoenix
Bronze Member

Post by Phoenix »

with mine i know its old and has spots of rust (did have i resprayed them :P) but in my veiw every car deserves to look nice,

i use a bit of everything

>soak the car with warm water from a watering can just to free some loose dirt.

>wash using warmwater and turtle wax zip wax and a huge sponge

>rinse with cold water

>use a turtle wax blade to lose most of the water then chamois (sp?) dry

>autoglym super resin polish it

>autoglym high gloss finish it (expensive using both but comes out like a mirror :wink: )

>turtle wax extreme tyre gel on the bumpers and any black plastic trim

>turtle wax glass polish all windows inside and out and mirrors too

>polish steelies (their black :P )

:shock: just realised how much i do but i swear by the glas polish from turtle wax it's by far the best stuff i've ever used, you simply use it like a polish so u apply liberaly let it dry then buff off and first time i used it i ended up with a big bruise on me head as i thought the window was down :cry: