Which pads?

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
Speedlaw

Which pads?

Post by Speedlaw »

Which pads to choose?

I've ordered some cross drilled Zimmermann discs this week, they're a German OE/Aftermarket producer. They changed their drill pattern and made their holes smaller recently too, to avoid the cracking of the discs under stress. So I have some faith in them...

But I still need some pads. What's your advice, and why?

Thanks!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Pagid Fast Road Pads

OEM quality (Pagid make OEM pads for VW)
They don't seem to fade (and I live in the hills)
Inexpensive (but not cheap)
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Sounds cool, any weblink perhaps? All I can get here are Greenstuff pads and OE stuff. I'd like something that's a bit better to be honest. Is Greenstuff any good?

Thanks ;)

Edit:

Do braided hoses make a difference?
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Personally, I wouldn't get greenstuff.... I've heard far too many bad things about them.

Braided hoses are meant to increase pedal feel.

Links:
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame- ... -discs.htm

http://www.sca-racerally.co.uk/pagid.htm

Interesting link to "Bedding in Process"
http://www.pagidusa.com/bedding_in_procedure.htm

HTH
dub envy

Post by dub envy »

I've heard nohing but bad things about zimmerman disks, but hopefully the new design will stop all this!
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Yeah, Padid fast road are supposed to be good with zimmerman discs.

If you can afford them, Feredo DS2000 are supposed to be the best fast road pads.

Worth getting some braided hoses.

My greenstuff pads have been good so far....
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Ferodo are the nuts - if you can stretch to these then go for them

just my 2p
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Thanks for the info guys,

Weird though how different folk have different experiences with brake products. The Germans swear by either Sandtler or Zimmermann. Apparently Zimmermann acknowledged the cracking problems, they won't change the pattern and size without reason.

I've checked out the PVW ads, perhaps they'll ship to the Netherlands. Saw some Ferodo DS2000 pads in there too - that's what the salesguy (the one that sold me the discs) advised to go with Zimmermann discs. But then he could have just these pads in stock. On the other hand, it confirms your advise on these pads.

I'll check out the links too, I'll sleep a bit first though!

Thanks again!
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

If I have any probs with my greenstuff, I have a brand new set of DS2000's ready to go in. :mrgreen:
J-O
Bronze Member

Post by J-O »

next week I'm getting Sparco Racing pads....will see what it worth and drilled disks :wink:
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

currently i am using omp drilled and grooved 16/4 discs with red dot kevlar pads here is every thing ive run
stock discs and pads
stock discs and omp road and sport pads (really recomended as they suit very well)
omp discs went on then with more omp road and sport pads
omp discs and kevlar pads

i think that next time i change discs (assuming i stay the same size) will be either stock discs with kevlar pads (as i find they cool a little too much at speed) or zimerman discs and ferordo pads ( i thought about using ferodo now but there was quite a wait for some reason and i needed pads to go to inters
however if you can get the front braking mad enough on stock sized items then under really hard braking (need good tyres too) then you can actually feel tegh car trying to spin as the back end steps out which you must catch very early in the slide and steer under braking if you dont want to spin the way i REDUCED this was to fit a front lower strut brace from omp which doubles up as a skid plate kinda cos i cant fit the skidplate ive got as when i wind the coils down to -11 the skid plate takes some of the weight of the car as the plate is on the floor hehe
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Just read that Ferodo have released some new pads aimed at the street racing market.

Same technology as the DS2000 but have shorter bed in time, good performance from cold and little or no pad fade.

The name is DSPF but theres no price yet (don't think there out til end of the month) but its going to be cheaper than the DS2000, check www.ferodo.co.uk or ring CCS Components (the UK distributor) on 0161 793 7963 for more details.

hope that helps

Karl
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

So Karl,

they'll be cheaper and better? That's pretty interesting. I'll keep an eye out for 'em...
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

speedy do you know what the above discs are for cos theyve got 10 lug holes
the only reason i can think of is that they will fit 2 pcd`s i.e. 5x100 or 5x115 very odd
KarlM

Post by KarlM »

Speedlaw wrote:So Karl,

they'll be cheaper and better? That's pretty interesting. I'll keep an eye out for 'em...
Dont think the performance will be as good as the DS2000 as they are Ferodo's racing application, but it will still be impressive.