how low?

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
polojimmy
New

how low?

Post by polojimmy »

Whats The lowest i can have my MkIII polo Slammed On 15's without it being stupidly low???

also does anyone know where i can pickk up a MkIII clutch as mine is nearly dead
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I don't think you'll be able to go very low at all on 15's without scrubbing badly.
Check ebay for clutches, I got one for my mk2 for £27 inc p&p, there are always a few on there. Otherwise, www.gsfcarparts.com sell them for about £50.
polojimmy
New

Post by polojimmy »

wat if blow me arches out and would 9x15's be far to wide???
cheers on the clutch prob
pettsy

Post by pettsy »

polojimmy wrote:wat if blow me arches out
if you do what :?:

Im running 7 x 15" ats cups with 195/45/15 tyres on my G40, and i've had to grind loads of the arch away to stop them scrubbing on the arches :shock:
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

15x6.5 on 195/45/15s here, I haven't lowered yet but I've been told I'll need to roll the rear arch most likely! I can imagine the front needing the same.

15x9 with lowering... good luck to you, you'll need it! Here's a tip, have NO arches... :lol: :shock:
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

9 inches wide on any size = major work (here's a pointer: you're going with wheels twice the section of the OEM ones ... im having trouble even imagining wheels that size, let alone on such a car)

15 inch diameter = rubbing issues even with a standard 4.5J, 5.5 or 6-inch section and suitable narrow/medium tyres to suit

15x9 = there wont be much polo left for them to attach to (you'll probably double the weight!) ...... you'll be looking at tyres in the 205 to 245 section range, right?

all the same if you can pull it off, and give it a professional finish it would look awesome. the problem with really wide arch flares is that they get chavved too much.
(even if you chav it, please, for the love of god, do the arches and change the wheels in one operation, because if i see another car going around with early-80s-WRC size arches and bog standard pramwheels nestled deep, deep inside them i'll probably die)
polojimmy
New

Post by polojimmy »

(even if you chav it, please, for the love of god, do the arches and change the wheels in one operation, because if i see another car going around with early-80s-WRC size arches and bog standard pramwheels nestled deep, deep inside them i'll probably die)
hahahhaa nah i aint gunna make that much a fool of me self lol

so im probably guessin 6.5 x 15's or maybe 14's will be best for the job, i aint guna do no chav jap job on me polo wanna keep it old skool, im looking at these ronal turbo's or schmidt th line 3 piecer's
http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/

me mate is tellin me to go for audi TT door handles too but i aint too sure
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

yeah its just a shame you can't do the original plan straight off - the car was designed with pretty narrow arches unfortunately. even the g40 only came with 13 inch 175/60s.
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

need a fair amount of work to put 6.5x15" and slam it! my old mk3 was lowered about 30-40mm on 6.5x15" wheels with 195/45/15's n they are a pain to stop them scrubbing.

dub_envy had some 15" p-slots on his gt last year and his was lowered 70mm i think! that looked good, but i believe the wheels were 6" wide. i'm not sure, would have to ask him! :wink:

i don't think i will be putting 15" on my g40, to much hassle for wot its worth! :roll:
Karl_CLCoupe
Platinum Member

Post by Karl_CLCoupe »

doug&dan wrote:need a fair amount of work to put 6.5x15" and slam it! my old mk3 was lowered about 30-40mm on 6.5x15" wheels with 195/45/15's n they are a pain to stop them scrubbing.

dub_envy had some 15" p-slots on his gt last year and his was lowered 70mm i think! that looked good, but i believe the wheels were 6" wide. i'm not sure, would have to ask him! :wink:

i don't think i will be putting 15" on my g40, to much hassle for wot its worth! :roll:
40mm is about the lowest you can go on wide-ish 15s from what I've gathered.

Mr Envy was running a 60mm drop on 15 x 5.5 Ps, so that explains that one :lol:

Karl.
polo_GT
Bronze Member

Post by polo_GT »

I would go for some 9 by 14 with a 70-80mm drop. Obviously you will need to do some arch work but this is easy.

My friend ran 8 by 15 bbs rs01 with 1 inch spacers on the back on a 40mm drop and thats was fine not much arch work had to be done. And it looked amazing, would of looked better on a 70mm drop though.

9s might be a little to wide but nothing is impossible
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

As for the clutch, if you're planning on spending the amount of money that wheels that enormous (comparitively..) will require, you may as well splash for a professional job done on it. The right mechanic can have you sorted for about £120 parts and labour...
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

Karl_CLCoupe wrote: Mr Envy was running a 60mm drop on 15 x 5.5 Ps, so that explains that one :lol:

Karl.
i knew i was close bout that! they are an unusual size wheel! but who cares, they look good! :twisted: