How to eliminate the "Watchdog" problem

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!

Did you know about the watchdog problem before you saw this post

Yes
21%
No
73%
Yes ive been a victim of it
3%
No but it explains why my cars gone walkies
3%

Total votes: 75

polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

How to eliminate the "Watchdog" problem

Post by polo2k »

the source (read source not weakness) of the watchdog problem is in the locks (that is as much as i am going to divulge in the interests of our security) so if we can eliminate the locks then the problem disapears. for this diy you will need:
key-less entry/ alarm
some new handles*
-optional-
paint
armoured door plates (theese prevent entry that is unrelated to the watchdog problem, again i shall not divulge)

firstly you will need to be able to open and close the car remotely so fit the remore entry system of your choise.
then you need to "eliminate the locks". the way that i am going to describe is the easiest way and perhaps one of the oldest. if you look at most 5-door german cars (vw audi merc bmw etc) the front and rear door handles are almost identical so all you need is a pair of rear handles which will be fitted into the front doors. the method of doing this differs from car to car so please look in the haynes manual of ask the dealer ship. some of you may be wandering whay about the boot? well i say good question but however the boot lock is not included in the weakness of our security so i chose to leave the boot lock in place as an emergency entry point (problem is id still have to crawl past the ice and do something about the 120Db siren thats internally fitted. and thats about all there is to it. i have had this system fitted for 4 months now and have not encountered any problems and i dont think i will exept if the alarm decides to go spam!

* the part code for the 6n2 is 6n4 839 205 b 3 fz the left and right are identical and will set you back about 22 euro ( £13)

if you have any more questions then please feel free to ask

DO NOT ELABORATE ON THE FAULT ANY WHERE IN THEESE FORUMS OTHERWISE YOUR POST MAY BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNINGthis includes other models affected
vw have not yet admited this fault so gooing to the dealer and b***h that you want some free handles wont get you any where. i found out most of my infomation by reading technical literature, reading wireing diagrams and studying the design of the entire locking system and i have 3 completly dismantled lock assemblys in my garage to see if its possible to eliminate the problem and keep the locks, unfortunatly it is not.

i understand that this post is brief but i dont want to tell any thiefs how to steal our cars btu if you want to know if you are affected then please message me privately because i will not respond to the question here.

btw doing this modification also gives you the chance to add some color coding and euro-ness to your car for a small price, in a short time and also if you tell your insures they may lower your priemiums.
have fun and stay safe and secure :)

:EDIT: i am adding the poll as a possible item that may be forewared to vw so please vote if your prefered choice is not there please msg me and i will add it
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi Ash

I've done the same thing. Did it a long time ago, when I had my MK4. Did it to my GTi a day before "Watchdog-gate".

Please may I remind everyone not to put any technical details about this problem on the forum.

De-Locking is the dealer-suggested way of securing your car.

Just don't try it if you don't have remote central locking! :roll:

I have been assured that even though some models of Polo may include the Comfort Feature, the locks are not succeptable (sp?) in the same way that other models of Volkswagen are.

If you know otherwise, PM me... Please don't post it in the forum.
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

delocking mine was one of the first things i did! simple and easy mod that looks class.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

True. Simple mod that looks nice and won't cost you an arm and a leg. I did it on a Mk4 allthough I don't know if my car was even affected by the problem. It saves the punters from prying open the lock that seems to be a trend here too.

Partnumbers are the same for Mk4 methinks, as the handles are identical.

Nice one P2K!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

no probs speed law
if your looking for an ultra cleen look then you dont need to buy any new handles as you can shave the rears and put the rear handles at the front, thus keeping looks security and ease of use
and any people who need to know if they are affected then pm me , josh, or speed law , and if in doubt then do it any way, the missus cant complain about this mod can she. :P
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Mine loves it! (The Missus)

She getting into it more and more.

For anyone wanting to know (legitemately) how the problem actually works, mail Josh or Polo2K, as they can explain it way better than I can, I'm sure!
tigor
Bronze Member
Drives: 2012 9R

Post by tigor »

Just picked this leaflet up at VAG.

polo2k

Post by polo2k »

if you read it it states that the polo is more resistant, this means its still possible because the design that has been implimented is still fallable.
from what thier car said my car sould walk all over this problem, so i tried it, (before i did mine i.e. old lock and btw i had a spare)
i followed the method used to exploit the system and lo and behold a little playing about and a snap later i had a vunerable car, so belive me we ARE vunerable
vw is slowly coming to terms with this problem and i aprichiate it (kant speel) so even if you pay the little fee you are vastly increasing your security.
i forgot to mention above that if you keep both removed door handles then this mod is completly reversable and you might be able to use the lock cylinders in the ign or boot ( i wasnt brave enough to kill my ignition so dont quote me on that)
sorry togor i didnt mean to attacjk your post i was trying to protect our security.
norton
New

Post by norton »

Hi guys

I converted my 3 door Mk5 door handles to de-locked mode.

I purchased 2x secondhand Mk4 5door rear handles, painted them to body colour,and fitted them to my car, no modifications req at all.

All in all a cheap mod that retains the origional lock mechanism and
can be reversed at no further cost.

And yes you do need an alarm linked to the cdl in order to lock/unlock
the doors.

PS... hope i never get a flat battery.......
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi Norton

That's EXACTLY what I've done!

Look sweet don't they!

8)
migui_blu
Getting There!
Drives: 6N2

9N

Post by migui_blu »

Hi

I asked this in another post, I apologise for the overkill :D

Will 9N door handles fit a 6N? I know 6N and 6N2 have the same handles, but the 9N are prettier (terminology is a bit gay, but it couldn't describe it any other way, ah well) :roll:

Cheers
poussou
Bronze Member

Post by poussou »

Well this is really a nice poll...

But for those of us that don't live in the UK and ....HAVE NO IDEA WTH ITS ALL ABOUT....:? :? :?

.....can some one plz explane ???

Even with a p.m. ????
JarnoVWPolo6N
Gold Member

Post by JarnoVWPolo6N »

poussou wrote:Well this is really a nice poll...

But for those of us that don't live in the UK and ....HAVE NO IDEA WTH ITS ALL ABOUT....:? :? :?

.....can some one plz explane ???

Even with a p.m. ????
Same here, I'me completely in the dark about what the hell you are all talking about?! :lol:

I really haven't got a fuckin' clue what this is about!!! :lol:
shaun1984
New

errrrr

Post by shaun1984 »

what is this all about?