Smoking steering wheel

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
owenjt
Bronze Member

Smoking steering wheel

Post by owenjt »

Got into my car last night and a small amount smoke was coming out from behind my steering wheel :shock: Smelt a bit like you'd expect and then went away! Had to go out so continued driving it but all time worried that the air bag was going to pop out suddenly.

Anyone experienced this? Or know what has happened? Thinking it might be a trip to VW and hope that my warrenty covers me.
live2themaxuk
Bronze Member

Post by live2themaxuk »

lol, let me guess, it was a date with a girl. . . . . .

Thats the only reason i would have carried on driving with that risk. . . .of an airbag popping out into my face. . .

Maybe you thought the risk of one airbag to the face was worth it, with the chance of getting two others later :lol:

Hope you get it fixed
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

live2themaxuk wrote:Maybe you thought the risk of one airbag to the face was worth it, with the chance of getting two others later :lol:
LOL! :D
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Haha :P But on a serious note have you added or altered anything in the car, of which the wires could be melting/burning? Just guessing now mind?
owenjt
Bronze Member

Post by owenjt »

lol! I wish!

Have had vw roadside assistance out and they said everything seems fine! Very impressed - they came within 45mins of me calling, took some of the steering wheel apart, hooked their computer to the car, found some fault with a voltage thing but said that wouldn't cause smoking, and couldn't find any other problems. Wasn't able to get the airbag off because he didn't have the tools and said the screws would need replacing, but he said it should be fine but to mention it when i get my full service in November.
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

I've had the exact same thing, couldnt smell any burning, everything seems to work too so i just ignored it.
neilw
Gold Member

Post by neilw »

Mine does that every 3 months or so. Run a search, because we've been into it before.

I think it may co-inside with the steering lock being on.
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

hmmmm mines been doing that too !!!!

though my motor was gonna burn up ! haha

Nice to hear im not the only person suffering from it. . . surley smoke cant be good from a steering wheel !!!

Cal
Del_GTi
Gold Member

Post by Del_GTi »

I've heard of this happening on another car. Think it was a Vauxhall.

Turned out to be a relay for the ignition switch.
Sputnik
New

Post by Sputnik »

It will be the ignition switch. Had one replaced on my old 2000 Polo. Apparently quite common according to some VW technicians I know.