Polo 16V missing and irratc idle?

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
Glen C
New

Polo 16V missing and irratc idle?

Post by Glen C »

This is my first post to this forum which was recomended to me as the best place for Polo info! I own and Audi S2 but have problems with my other halfs MY97 Polo 16V, and iam really hoping this is the place to find the answers to my questions!

The car has a habit of missing and idling irratically mainly when warm. When i say warm i mean after maybe half hours constant running not just when the coolant gets warm. Its fine on the Mway with the engine reving high but proper asses arround in town at low engine speeds. It also increase the idle speed to sometimes 2k and has stalled in the past. @ the time it was under VW extened warranty and the stealers fitted two new throttle-bodys under warrnty but the car was just the same. They dragged it out untill the warranty expired then washed their hands of it! I belive the fault was "speradic throttle body fault" or sommat but they wernt for telling me much!
I have VAG com so i'll retrieve the DTC's and see what they say, i've done this the other day and damm forgot what they were!

Any info or opinions is greatfully recived!

Thanks Guys!

Glen C.

P.s Is this a MKIV Polo being a MY97? get confuesed with the differnt MK's?
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi Glen

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, MY97 is the MK4/MKIV and has the model designation 6N

Sounds like it's having some similar problems to my GTi... Mine is fine when giving it some welly, but as soon as you start having to drive it slowly (ie, in town or in traffic) it starts to hesitate etc.

It's not good!

Hope someone can help you out (therefore helping me too!)...

It'll be interesting to see what VAG-COM thinks is happening.

I'm taking mine in for an oil change tomorrow and I'm going to get it scanned to see if there's anything showing on mine (it was pretty much clear of fault codes a month or so ago).
Glen C
New

Post by Glen C »

Thanks Josh!
Is it possible to blink the codes out with the MIL light on the dash like you can with the S2's? I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes and ill write the DTC'd down next time too!

thanks again!

Glen
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hmm, not heard of this on a Polo...

(Mole mentioned something about "reading" fault codes using an LED on Scoobies though... is this the sort of thing you mean?)
Glen C
New

Post by Glen C »

Yup that exactly what i mean! On the S2's the light isn't wired up becasue they were only wired to the cars that went to california for the emmisions stuff! But a simple mod can be done to wire them up then by earthing the "L" line i think it is the codes can be blinked out by using that lamp! Alterativley no modding is required but a LED can be used across the diagnostic conectors to also blink out the codes! Just askin in VW also have this facility?
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Not that anyone seems to know of :cry:
But if you've got vag-com, then no problem 8)

On the scooby, you just connect 2 plugs under the dash. Then look up the flashes on a chart. 8)
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Mate...

You NEED to get a new Temperature Sender (and O Ring)...

I got one for mine today and "touch wood" it's made it drive fine (well, on the way back from JBS anyway!)

Only 24 quid all in for the part... Dunno about fitting cost though :oops:

I also had my oil changed, and it's driven home fine.

If it's ok over the next few days and continues to behave itself I will be well happy.

Part numbers for yours (I believe) are:

357 919 501 A Temperature Sender

N 903 168 02 “Oâ€
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Oh, and I suppose I'd better link to the pages where I found out about replacing the Temp Sender:

http://www.porka.net/modules.php?name=X ... d&tid=9682

Thanks for the info lads!

The dealer told me that they sell loads of them, and it can fix all kinds of problems, from stalling at junctions, erratic idling, sluggish performance etc etc!

Seems like a "cure-all"!!
Glen C
New

Post by Glen C »

throttle positio actuator V60
36-10-open circuit - intermitant

Says Vag com?

Temp sender eh! I might just try Martn @ Vagparts for one of those!

Thanks Josh! good man!!

:wink:
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hmm, That's not cool.

IIRC the Throttle Position Sensor is part of the Throttle Body (£$€€€££££$$$) <- Lots of money.

Try cleaning the throttle body with carb/brake cleaner.

Good luck!
Glen C
New

Post by Glen C »

It's had two complete throttle bodys under warranty so they tell me??? Plug connections to check i think!

Thanks Josh!
Glen C
New

Post by Glen C »

I have spoke to a guy on S2Forum who works in a VW dealers! he has told me what has been fitted under the warranty and asked arround in the workshop for ideas? The plug has been suggested as i was goin to try but he has also managed to get me the flow chart to the wiring to the throttlebody from the ECU! Cool! 8) Godda wait for the xmas postage to bring the stuff then better check that wiring! Will keep posing my findings hopefully may help someone else in the future?

Cheers guys!
Fluxcotine
New

Post by Fluxcotine »

hello

just want to add

on the mk4s check that the vaccum pipes are in good condition, on mine the pipe infront of the tb was shagged, replace it if it is, you can get pipe with similar diameter from halfords (as i had) 5 quid for a meter or something

also, check the vaccum pipe from the exhaust return valve too on the 1400 16v mk4s

the exhaust return valve is the round thing at the end of the exhaust manifold battery side

checked that the pipe from there ( the rubber pipe) is secured, and check its other end too
simon pope
Bronze Member

Post by simon pope »

look at the thread ive posted today this should solve ya problem, it did mine
simon pope