Projection Lens

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Projection Lens

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

If I am fitting Xenons to my car, (8000K) will it look daft cos Polos dont have projection lens??? And what it will look like? I am assuming it wont give that twinkle some other cars do?
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

i have been here with xenons and the light pattern and quality is worse than standards, and my xenon kits were not cheapy ones either

you lose the controled beam pattern and just get a bright blur

also, i found 6000k too blue so went down to 5000k and still had the same issues

see the projector (or fish eye lens) refracts the flow of light, slowing it down, correcting the beam pattern and making it whiter with a tinge of colour unlike normal bulb caps which do nothing and just shows the light as blue

personally mate, i would not bother, and i have tried it and returned to standard light bulbs again

also, if you do not have a winter pack on your car with the heated headlamp washers, your car will fail its mot, as xenons need headlight washers, as dusty or dirty lights seriously reduce the correct working of the hid bulbs

but its your choice
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

I personally dont think the standard bulbs are all that good eithers . Is there anyway you can get a projection lens for your car???
Jeff GTi
Platinum Member

Post by Jeff GTi »

well uprate your bulbs, i have and they are much better and purer light

and as for projector lenses, you cant just retro fit them, so unless a light manufacturer makes projector style lenses, your stuck with the standards
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

Cheers for the info jeff. A have upgraded my bulbs as soon as i got my polo. They are better than standard ( A lot better ) just really like the Xenons. Not be changing anythin till next couple a months anyways.
Wouter
Bronze Member

Post by Wouter »

Hoping for some aftermarket projector lens myself. Looks better and less "diffusion" of light indeed.

I also have HID xenon 6000K, i still prefer it miles ahead over normal bulbs, and as long as you don't irritate other people on the road with an aftermarket xenon kit it's okay.

I know FK has projector lenses for a 9N, wish they could make them for a 9N3 too..
daa709
Silver Member

Post by daa709 »

Which uprated bulbs did you guys use?
abdnmoh
Bronze Member

Post by abdnmoh »

I think most ppl use Philips 80% 8)
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Jeff GTi wrote:also, if you do not have a winter pack on your car with the heated headlamp washers, your car will fail its mot, as xenons need headlight washers, as dusty or dirty lights seriously reduce the correct working of the hid bulbs
No it won't fail an MOT as headlight washer's are not checked for the MOT. Mines been through 2 MOTs at different places and has passed both time's.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

same :D