Rear discs for New Polo

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
Ratty
Getting There!

Rear discs for New Polo

Post by Ratty »

Gonna be picking up me Polo this Saturday with 16" wheels on. Trouble is, I'd love to get some discs for the rear wheels...just don't feel happy having drum brakes under there.

Any suggests? :?
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Have a word with AMd based in Biscester Oxford, they should be able to sort you out. But then again you still have ABS, I think the only benefit would be that they'd look asthetically pleasing.

Think about warranty invalidation though, I know I go on about this but the warranty is the reason people buy new cars these days. Well I did anyway :wink:
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

I'm sure it can be done, only problem would be the abs. If you go on www.porka.net (not sure if you wanna delete that Josh) there is someone with a MK4 who did the same thing, not sure if he had ABS though :?
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

It should be possible.

JBS Auto Designs in Chesterfield (01246 550 400 - www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk) were going to fit some rear discs to my MK4 before I sold it... I think they were going to come from a MK3 Golf GTi?

Give them a ring and see what they say
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

The ABS system won't be the problem, you just need to get brakes that incorporate the existing ABS sensor. It's been done on Mk4's and 5's before, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work on 9N's.

Warrenty issues not considered here...
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

true the abs sensor tyre and position are the only main concerns but you may also want to concider the brake balence front and rear as this will prolly be changed but can be compencated for by fitting a brake compensator (if you dont already have one) and this can be set up roughly with a set of axle rams and then finally on a brake tester like you see at mot stations. the abs is not a main concern because the sensor sees that the wheel is locking up and then the brake is released and re-applied by the abs valves and auxallry pump which are all under the bonnet (look for a melal block near the servo with 4 copper lines going in and one braided stainless steel one)
Ratty
Getting There!

Post by Ratty »

Thanks for all the help lads.

Never realised it would be such a complex operation, in fact, never really thought about it too much at all!

Ah well, I'll concentrate on getting her lowered first, and then think about the brakes.

Cheers all, once again. :)
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

low is the way to go :D and btw you could look t the new ibitha(sp ) or the audi A2
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

low is indeed the way to go 8)
ciden
Bronze Member

Post by ciden »

Lemme get this right: Not all 9N Polo's in the UK come fitted with disc brakes all round? In S.A. it's standard on all models.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

I'm not sure exactly. It is either standard on 2003 models, or the sport from 2003 onwards. Mine has discs all round but I've seen a sport model with drums.

Looking in the 2003 catalogue it shows an SE model with drums. Although that doesn't really prove a point either way as it's probably an 02 model, actually it is as it doesn't have the aero wiper!

James.
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

I always thought SE/SPORT models have them as standard, sure you didn't see a E or S model disguising itself as a SPORT!!
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

2002 "S" here with rear discs 8)
Another case of VW being rather "erratic" with their features :?: :?
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Rear discs are standard on 75bhp models and above.

Nelson
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Oh yeh, I knew that :roll: