GT first car?

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
Bronzer
New

GT first car?

Post by Bronzer »

hey guys, im new to the forum so any help would be nice.

basicly im coming up to completing my driving test and have my heart set on a mk3 polo as my first car.

the only problem is im not sure how much insurance would be for me (17) on a GT which is what im after, but should i just go for a standard 1.3 or even 1.0??

if i do get a GT do they have decent tuning potential, im not looking to spend huge money but just wondering if the standard 75hp is easy to increase? and btw are they carb? single point inj?

cheers :)
madmatt

Re: GT first car?

Post by madmatt »

Bronzer wrote:hey guys, im new to the forum so any help would be nice.

basicly im coming up to completing my driving test and have my heart set on a mk3 polo as my first car.

the only problem is im not sure how much insurance would be for me (17) on a GT which is what im after, but should i just go for a standard 1.3 or even 1.0??

if i do get a GT do they have decent tuning potential, im not looking to spend huge money but just wondering if the standard 75hp is easy to increase? and btw are they carb? single point inj?

cheers :)
right firstly WELCOME to the forum

i would shop about for insurance at places in the back of a vw magazine for a gt that would give you a rough figure.
if its not a price you can afford theres nothing to stop you from either getting a 1.0 or 1.3 spi and running that untill you get the no claims and then doing a gt conversion. when i was 18 i had a E reg mk2 polo b/v 1300cl and tpft it was £800 but that was 10yrs ago through c.i.s

a gt polo is multi point injection with a pure 75bhp which is capable of going to about 100bhp + (not sure how much bhp people have got when they have thrown a fortune to it) but without willing of spending a hudge amout of money you have no chance

tuning + no money = no BIG bhp

however there is small things you can do that that will increase the bhp slightly for small funds.
- a chip from poloace
- decat
- dewedge throttle body
- airfilter k&n or jetex
and you could possably reach approx 85-90bhp
Bronzer
New

Post by Bronzer »

ok cheers.

just to clarify when i said i didnt want to spend huge money i meant im not aiming to take it to the level where id have to be getting new cams, larger injectors, forced induction ext as this will still be used as my transport to college on some days so i want atlease a little bit of economy left :lol:

and as im a trainee motorsport tecnitian i have free use of tools/ workshop ect so hopefully i will do a rebuild of the engine aswell as adding:
full de-cat exhaust possibly with manifold aswell
k&n
golf afm
ported/polished head
larger throttle body
chip of somesort

im aiming for about 90-95hp im not sure wether this would get it to that level i imagine it would come close but not having much experiance with polos im not sure? do you think this would be obtainable?
madmatt

Post by madmatt »

Bronzer wrote:ok cheers.

just to clarify when i said i didnt want to spend huge money i meant im not aiming to take it to the level where id have to be getting new cams, larger injectors, forced induction ext as this will still be used as my transport to college on some days so i want atlease a little bit of economy left :lol:

and as im a trainee motorsport tecnitian i have free use of tools/ workshop ect so hopefully i will do a rebuild of the engine aswell as adding:
full de-cat exhaust possibly with manifold aswell
k&n
golf afm
ported/polished head
larger throttle body
chip of somesort

im aiming for about 90-95hp im not sure wether this would get it to that level i imagine it would come close but not having much experiance with polos im not sure? do you think this would be obtainable?
looks like you had a idea what you wanted to do so why ask ????
Bronzer
New

Post by Bronzer »

well i went and didnt some more research and then decided
metz

Post by metz »

Welcome to the forum matey,
Get some pics up in members rides. ;-)

Metz