Remote Central Locking Not Working

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Remote Central Locking Not Working

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Hi All

Another one for the GTI Experts out their, I can't seem to get my key to work to unlock or lock the car, I've replaced the batteries with 2 different makes of battery both 3v like the one that came in the key but it still won't lock or unlock the car, The central locking in the car is all working it's just the remote :S

Can anyone help ?

Thanks
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

these keys are notorius (sp) for losing their code with the ECU.

If you read your handbook, it will tell you how to re-code the key.

If you have a spare key, try that first to make sure it isnt something else, but this has happened to a few friends of mine.

Be prepared to lose your rag trying to re-code the key though, it took me about an hour to finally get it re-coded. (keep trying and trying and trying until it finally worked)

The keys tend to lose their code if you replace the battery
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Lol Thanks Neil, Their was me thinking F*** me the fob's are messed and i'm going to have to order a new set from VW :S

I'll give it a pop tonight. Thanks.
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

The procedure should involve putting the key in the drivers door and turning a number of times, taking it out pressing the buttons in the order given, summat like that anyway, it has been a while since i last did one.

If it doesnt work first time, dont be put off, keep trying.

If you havent done it after an hour though, i would give up.

Let us know how you get on :)
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Lol cool cool i'll give it a pop, Although if it hasn't happened after an hour im sure the key's going to get hurt lol. Thanks for the info and fingers crossed it should be ok.

Thanks
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

any good Omz ????
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Frigging hell you wern't joking was you mate lol, Nooo Joy as yet, I tried and tried and tried with both sets of keys and nothing.

The book say's-

Press either the open or close button on the key for 1 second

Open the car manually using the car (At this point this should trigger that the key and code match and should re-set it)

Then you should be good to go by using your fob

I tried this sooooo many times but nothing lol. However i'm not going to give up i shall keep trying, Quick question though....One of my fob's has 2 batteries, the other one has one battery and a thin metal blanking plate looking thing, Are these suppose to have 2 3V batteries or just one ?

Thanks
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

ermm i'm not sure on the battery side of things, i am sure my mate only had one in his.

We carried out a more advanced programming on his tough where you had to keep turning the key a number of times press the buttons on the fob.

Does the handbook only have one way for re-programming them ?
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Yes i believe so, It's under the "Re-syncronise" the key heading although i think i might have to try and see if their's anything on the web that might have abit more info.
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

Try this.............. the whole procedure needs doing within 30 seconds

Turn on ignition with your 2nd key

manually lock drivers door with 1st key

press and hold the unlock button on 1st key and whilst holding the unlock button in, manually unlock and lock drivers door

release the unlock button

turn off ignition and remove 2nd key

It should now work. (Remeber it is quite tricky so expect to have to do it a few times)

If not, then you will probably have to go to VW to get it reprogrammed i'm afraid :(
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

If the last post of mine doesnt work, i only have this last way left to try:

put key in ignition.
turn on for 5 secs max
take key out
press and hold one button on key.
press other button 3 times in succession within 10 secs.
release held button.
led on key should flash 5 times
central locking either locks or locks/unlocks to confirm programming.
exit programming mode by turning on ignition.
Omz_6N2
Getting There!

Post by Omz_6N2 »

Thanks Neil i'll give that a pop, I even tried doing it while the key was in the ignition (But just with one key), i must have looked crazy thought as i was pointing the key at the door, The mirror, at the red lights, all over the shot lol.

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. I'll let you no how i get on with this lol. Wish me luck :p
kraized
Bronze Member

Post by kraized »

Hmm, I've had a similar problem and VW keep telling the pump has gone, which I've had replaced (not by VW) but the problem still persits. The car locks and unlocks fine using the key so I know the pump is working. It locks fine with the remote but it doesn't unlock via the remote - only disables the alarm. Could I have the same problem as you guys did?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Unlock the car manually in the lock, if all doors unlock like they're suppose to the pump is fine.

When you changed the battery mate, how long did you take? There is a certain given time limit in which the battery can be out of the fob. Once that time is up the fob becomes inactive and you need to go to the Dealers to get it sorted.

When I changed my battery, I bought it direct from VW, and they changed it then and there for me. The re-code worked stright away after that.
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

This happened to mine when i changed my head unit, have u had one fitted??