polos (slow) progress

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
pololo
New

polos (slow) progress

Post by pololo »

hello, just recently joined this wonderful forum! i've got a 2001 polo tdi which is pretty much totally stock at the moment:

i'm thinking of doing the usual mods:
* gti grill
* front foglights (and honeycomb grills)
* tt pedals
* alloys?

i'm wondering about the pedals though, ideally i'd like to have them fit without the need for araldite but i keep getting different opinions.. i've got the part numbers for brake, clutch and lhd accelerator pedals. do these fit without the need for modifications/glue? and are they a better fit than a set with the RHD pedal? or would the similar looking fabia vrs pedals do the job better?

as for alloys, i have no idea - what suits a 6n2 polo? :D
Last edited by pololo on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
red6n2
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: the new guy

Post by red6n2 »

hi, and welcome... rims will come down to preferance a lot off people rock BBS splits.. i personally have p-slots but ive seen it all from borbet A's to banded steelys to some terrible wolfrace rims that blatantly came from halfrauds,

but coilovers will make a world of difference

not sure on the pedals... best bet is to ask either alex perkins or tim_gti i bet they know the best way to guide you

i have a set of the se front fog light grills im willing to do a straight swap with for the flush ones you have if you want ???

as for the front main grill ypou thinking of badgeless or keppint it VW ?
pololo
New

Post by pololo »

@red: thanks for the welcome :) i'll be keeping it vw i think, just a bit more honeycomb than standard! hadn't even thought about coilovers, hmm, i do have to do a bit of light offroading (dirt/stone lanes, grass etc..) so not sure how low i could get away with...

searching about the forum i quite like the look of these alloys, any idea what they are?

and i'm guessing these won't fit, but they're very tasty:
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Hiya mate, welcome to the site.

The TT brake and clutch pedals fit with no hassle and no adhesive necessary. It's just the LHD accelerator you need to stick on. This is necessary, the RHD one doesn't fit properly. So it's araldite I'm afraid!

The first set of wheels are 14" VW Starlights, nice wheels. The second I'm not so sure, but as you guessed they are 5X100 so you'd need adaptors. I don't think the second set would suit the 6N2 personally though.
pololo
New

Post by pololo »

thanks tim, i had another look at the starlights, they're cool - gonna see if i can source a set.. i'm afraid i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to alloys - my tyres are 185/55 R14 at the moment, will they fit on those alloys? and what difference will it make if the alloys turn out to be skinnier for example?

p.s. sorry about all these questions! :(
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

They would fit, they wouldn't look too good though. Your wheels would be something like 5" wide, starlights wouldn't be much off that, so you should be fine. I would go for something like 14/195/45s on them though.
pololo
New

Re: polos (slow) progress

Post by pololo »

having a bit of trouble tracking down a set of starlites, the dealer tells me they're classed as obsolete part now :(

i've been considering getting a set of the g60 steelies in the meantime, prehaps instead (much to dismay of mates) i'm thinking they'd fit in with the silver and black thing my car has going on, have seen some pictures on a silver lupo:

what's the opinions on running a set of them?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Although they are nothing special, you can't go wrong with a set of G60s 8)
pololo
New

Post by pololo »

few little mods done this evening after work

sunglasses holder 8)

and, of course, the gti grill :)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Good job
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

well as you got a TDi, you'd want to get it remapped Ive had mine done and it will put a big smile on your face! dont bother with anything else on the engine. Keep the air filter standard, no induction kits. Bodywise, you can go for a set of BBS RX2's , which are original GTI alloy wheels, or if you want a euro look go for some deep dish wide rims with stretch tyres. maybe some GTi xenon headlamps. foglights you can get off any polo and stick them on as the wiring is already there. and coilovers for lowering. and u can get a GTi Splitter and maybe color code it, and maybe a rear spoiler. these are the basic options you have
Last edited by vw55raz on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ash man
Getting There!

Post by ash man »

lookin good
pololo
New

Post by pololo »

vw55raz wrote:you'd want to get it remapped... dont bother with anything else on the engine. Keep the air filter standard, no induction kits.
how much power did you get from your remap out of interest? and who did it for you? i've no idea who would be good and who wouldn't

and thanks to all who've commented :D

car is coming up to the big 100k so i've got something a little bit special planned in the next few weeks (if it'll work :P)
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Post by nigelelliott394 »

Your car is mostly the same as mine... except mine is an SDI!

I'm also from NI! where you from?
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

pololo wrote: how much power did you get from your remap out of interest? and who did it for you? i've no idea who would be good and who wouldn't
your car will easily see between 100 and 110 bhp with 245nm torque ! I got mine done from angel tuning. very Friendly,give great advice and they come to you