Gearbox problems?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Overseer
Bronze Member

Gearbox problems?

Post by Overseer »

I've been having problems the past couple of days when changing gear. When I put the car into first (and sometimes second) its really stiff and I have to use more considerable force. Wierd thing is the car is better when cold, but when its warm and I'm in traffic it starts to play up.

I can't hear any whirring as described in other gearbox related threads, so could this be something else?

Any help would be much apprechiated.
tegwin
Gold Member

Re: Gearbox problems?

Post by tegwin »

The first thing I would do is renew the oil in the gearbox....

Then if that doesnt cure it, look at anything that can expand when its hot... so gear linkages etc..
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Mine has this problem from time to time but I must admit its normally when the car is cold.
To solve the problem I normally just fully engage the cluth and go through all the gears and then re-select 1st or reverse.

One thing you could do Overseer is have the gearbox oil changed, normally that does make a noticeable difference.

I wouldnt worry about the stiffness too much though, mine has the same problem from time to time so youre not alone

Ben,
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I had this problem a while back, it's the clutch mate. For definite.

Once heated up it got to the point where I had to turn the car off to get it into first or reverse. Got a new clutch - happy days!
Overseer
Bronze Member

Post by Overseer »

Great :(

Could you do me a favour Tim and post the part numbers for the Sachs Clutch - thats the one you recommend right? Do I also need a new clutch cable - do you have the number for that too?

And how much am I looking at for the Clutch, cable and fitting?

Cheers
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

SACHs clutch kit, part number 3000581001. Not sure of the cable sorry, VW will be able to sort you out with that one though.

The clutch kit costs around £100, cable is about £30 and it'll prob take 2-3 hours work. So an extra £70-105 labour or so on top?