Gearbox

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Gillen
Gold Member

Gearbox

Post by Gillen »

I'm having trouble when changing from 1st to 2nd. I can still get it in to 2nd from 1st with no problem, if i gear change below 2000rpm. However, if i gear change over 2000 rpm from 1st to 2nd the gearbox makes a noise, like it isn't going in to gear, but it will still go in to gear pretty easily! If i rev over 2000 rpm and go from 1st to neutral to 2nd, it doesn't make a noise, but obviously this isn't very practical!

It has no issues in any other gears regardless of RPM.

The car is also remapped (had this on for about 8 months and the gearbox problem has only been happening over the last month).

Was just wondering if anyone new what the issue is before i take it in to a garage.

Thanks
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Re: Gearbox

Post by kc »

2nd gear syncromesh mate

common problem.... hopefully youve still got warranty... if not... then..£££ im afraid :(
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

Was it not a recall if it was a common problem?

My warranty runs out in April, but am I going to have trouble with the dealer because I have a remap/coilovers?

How much £££ are we talking? Perfect timing :(
kc
Gold Member

Post by kc »

i think the recall was for the gearbox oil buddy

if youve still got warranty then i'd get it booked in double time matey

if you have trouble with the warranty argue the fact that the coilovers dont stress or are not connected in any way to the box so they cant really do owt - if theyre still being dicks... go to another vw dealership!
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

When I bought the car it had 9 months of the original manufacturers warranty and the VW dealership I bought it off said they make up the other 3 months to make 12minths from when I bought it, it's those final 3 months I'm in now so I can only use that dealership, plus it's in MK and I'm in Notts :(.

I'm more worried about them blaming it on the remap :(
kc
Gold Member

Post by kc »

they wont be able to tell re the remap unless they take it out - but again it shouldnt be related

if so - isnt there any chance you could have it turned off for the time being? have a word with your mapper bud
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

Wouldn't they argue because its got more power than standard, the gearbox wasn't made to take more bhp/torque?

Unfortunatly the company i got my remap done by is near Manchester, which means a 4+ hour round trip just to get the map taken off :(

Can't really afford time to go down to MK (VW dealership) and then them saying they won't fix under warranty because of remap. Nor can i afford to go up to have the map taken off, then drive down to MK aswell! :(

Is it a new gearbox job?
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

Does anyone know if one mapping company can remove another companies map???
Turbomier
Silver Member

Post by Turbomier »

yes they can :wink:
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

Remap is being taken off on Thursday. Going to ring up the VW dealership I got the car from and book the car in for Friday if I can.

I've never booked my car in before to have work done under warranty, when I ring up to book it in, do I just say I want to book it in to have the gearbox looked at and fixed under warranty?
Also, as I live in Notts and the garage is in MK am I likely to get a courtesy car if I ask for one. If it is booked in one day to find the problem, probably won't be fixed that day also so it's not like I can wait around.
kc
Gold Member

Post by kc »

they normally ask you to take it down, then they take it out for a spin, then book you in after mate, they wont take your word for it that its broke....

so best bet is take it to a local vw, explain whats happened and see if they will honour the warranty at your local stealership!
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

Hadn't thought of taking it to my local VW and seeing if they'd do it, doubt they will though :(. They'll probably just say no and i won't have anything else to say so that'd be that lol :(

The original warranty ran out on 28th January, i took it in for a service and MOT with them on that date too. The 12 months since i bought it runs out very beginning of April, might be worth a go i suppose.

The problem isn't consistent though which is a bit of an issue, it does it more once its already had a few miles done that day. Doesn't do it very often when it is still a little cold, but that could be because i don't rev hard until i know its warmed up.
Seymour
Bronze Member

Post by Seymour »

mine went in for new gearbox... lowered and mapped and they never said a word...
Gillen
Gold Member

Post by Gillen »

Did you have the same problem i'm having with my gearbox mate?
Seymour
Bronze Member

Post by Seymour »

na i had a rattle when car was in idle, think it was due to metal in the oil or somthing so had new box fitted!