Cutting out in wet weather????

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
euro_matty
New

Cutting out in wet weather????

Post by euro_matty »

Hi all - i'm new to the forum.

Just bought a 1.4 8 valve polo (N reg). Went through puddle and it cut out. Tried to start it but no joy. Left it for about 5 minutes and it started. Got a little way down the road and it cut out again. Seems to have trouble starting in wet conditions - any ideas anyone? :?
Andy1.6
Gold Member

Re: Cutting out in wet weather????

Post by Andy1.6 »

Mine used to do this when I was driving through large puddles, with mine it was because the air intake is very low down and it sucks up water, just needs some time to dry out!
euro_matty
New

Post by euro_matty »

thx for that bud ,is there a way that it can be repositioned?
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

Post by kingsleysaywell »

mine does it but it will normally carry on driving just sounds like its on bike carbs lol otherday i was really bad though had to give it high revs to keep it going at low speeds and was backfiring and spitting flames haha
euro_matty
New

Post by euro_matty »

same thing happened lastnight it cut out left it for ten min wen it started again it was miss firing den cut out and now it wont start at all i plugged dionostics into it and it gave me fault code which was-00525 oxygen sensor no signal would this cause it not too start?
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

Sounds like the electrics have had a healthy dose of water inside the air intake, lack (or apparent lack) of oxygen going into the engine would stop it from starting. I had the same problem today, managed to nurse the car home after leaving it a while, I'll see if the same thing happens to me, although I'm really hoping it doesn't!! I think the cutting out was just because the air intake was filled with water, as pumping the gas pedal only ever made things worse! My theory is that when the taps are opened up, the engine tries to suck in more air, but because of the water around the air intake, that gets moved around as well and blocks the intakes, suffocating the engine. However this is all guesswork so feel free to correct me :)
Andy1.6
Gold Member

Post by Andy1.6 »

Would imagine fitting some form of aftermarket air filter would help this as you could relocate the air feed to come from another location such as the front grill or something... someone else could expand a little?
kingsleysaywell
Silver Member

Post by kingsleysaywell »

okay atm i have to rev the engine as i start it otherwise it will stall any ideas?
euro_matty
New

Post by euro_matty »

i managed to sort the problem on mine in the end was the coil was getting wet put new coil on it and havent had the problem since, but mine dont like idleing when is cold it dont cut out to its just really spluttery and jolty but pluged the com into it and it said it was 00533-idle air control regulation but my mate has a mk3 golf gti and also has the same problem.