Polo 9n3 GTI - Passenger Electric Window Switch

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
Isaac39
New

Polo 9n3 GTI - Passenger Electric Window Switch

Post by Isaac39 »

Hello,

The passenger window of my GTI will go up and down using the driver's side switch but will only go up (and not down) from the passenger side. Will the windows reset method (hold key in locking position until windows drop - right?) work?

Thanks,

Isaac
PeterT
New

Re: Polo 9n3 GTI - Passenger Electric Window Switch

Post by PeterT »

I've just fixed my daughter's 2001car check the wiring loom between the door pillar and door on the drivers side the thick white and black wire had fatugued and broken in 2.

First check the fuses but you fault indicates some powe is getting through.

I would post a photo but can't see how to do this.

If you carefully pull on the concertina rubber boot it will peel away from the large scoket on the door pillar; I undid the large socket (1/4 turn anti-clockwise) to give better access. Working is tight but be patient.

I soldered an extra 2.5 inches of wire in to reduce the stress on the wire. You need todecide if you are going to use a crimped mechanical joint or solder.

You do not need to remove any dor trim to check / repair this fault.

Let me know how you get on.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Sounds like the passenger switch is at fault to me.

You could try the reset procedure that you mentioned anyway, but since it works perfectly from the drivers side then it looks like the switch is at fault. The pins might be corroded and require cleaning?
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

Isaac

Fuse 18 5A is general power to both windows,Fuse 39 25A is power to passenger window,Fuse 31 25A is power to drivers window,but having said that,it will be none of these...your best bet is as stated before,Switch or local wiring on passenger side door..Also resetting the CAN might help

John :wink:
Isaac39
New

Post by Isaac39 »

Cheers, I've replaced the passenger window switch. At first the new switch would only move the window up but not down so I tried the reset and now it won't move it either way! The drivers side switch still moves the passenger window up and down.

Any idea??

Isaac
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Hmmm, sorry to hear that changing the switch didn't solve the problem. Issue with damaged wiring maybe? I'm not too hot on how the window wiring is organised but it might be worth following the wires for as much as possible to rule out any loose connections/damaged cables etc.
Isaac39
New

Post by Isaac39 »

Cheers for the advice anyway mate, will do.