Keepin it cool

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
eviljohn27
New

Keepin it cool

Post by eviljohn27 »

Had my mk2 bready for 6 months now and still lovin it. Despite the fact it's december and colder than a witches t*t, my engine still seems to get pretty warm when just bimblin around town at 30mph. The temp gauge seems to rest at about the halfway mark, but climbs up pretty quickly if sat for even a minute or two. Is this normal, is there anything I can monkey with to try and keep it down or at least regular? Would a new thermostat help? Or new water pump? Would a badgeless grill be better for air flow? Also, the fresh air blower seems pretty noisy and rattly. Could this have anything to do with warm engine? What parts would I need to look for to get this a bit quieter, and does anyone know of a person/place that does reupholstering in the somerset/bristol area?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
John.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Keepin it cool

Post by alexperkins »

A new thermostat would help

Also look into a new water pump, and a coolant change with genuine G12++ Coolant mixed correctly

Id also check the Fan switch on the radiator as these are prone to failing - i had two fail.

Get a genuine fan switch and thermostat - the GSF/Euro ones are absolute rubbish.
eviljohn27
New

Post by eviljohn27 »

Excellent. I'll get on and do that. I know I can get the thermostat and water pump on ebay but where's a good place to get the radiator bits? Thanks by the way.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I would honestly get genuine VW thermostat and the radiator parts - reproduction parts are no where near the quality. Ive had a lot of thermostat failures over the years from trying to save money and go for the cheaper option!

Just pop down to your local VW dealer, or speak to Heritage VW - they do all parts at very good prices.
eviljohn27
New

Post by eviljohn27 »

Awesome. Thanks very much. I'll crack on with that. Have a low and slow Christmas dude. x
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

You too mate ;)