6N2 GTI CD changer error

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
polodriver
Getting There!

6N2 GTI CD changer error

Post by polodriver »

Hi all

This might be a strange question to some of you!

Have standard radio/CD set-up in my 6N2 GTI and have recently had a 'no magazine - CD error' on the head unit, and it won't read the CD's in the magazine on the head unit. Is it likely to be the changer or the head unit do you think? CDs all in the magazine the right way up.

Cheers,
Rich

https://twitter.com/polodrivercom/statu ... 16/photo/1
Bradley
Gold Member

Re: 6N2 GTI CD changer error

Post by Bradley »

Hi Rich, I think it's quite common for the changer to sometimes give up the ghost.I still use the 6 disc changer on my VW MFD head unit and sometimes its said that message.There is a lead in the boot coming off of the 6 disc changer where it joins to a cable that runs back to the head unit,I found if you disconnected this and then reconnected it the changer came back into action although it became a bit of a pain in the arse so i got a second hand 6 disc changer out of a friends Bora and it's been fine since.
polodriver
Getting There!

Post by polodriver »

Thanks Bradley.

Just to clarify – is it the 'box'-type connector which sits in-between the changer and the boot wall (load lip), and do you have to unscrew the changer body to get to it? Very difficult otherwise...

Cheers!
Rich
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

It's about an inch and a half long multi pin connecter,it could be on the underside of the changer or just under the carpet by the changer.I've moved mine so I can access it easily now and can't remember exactly where it was to be honest.The lead coming off the changer is only about 10 inches long so it'll be within that sort of proximity of the changer.
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Post by 6n2stan »

If you undo the bolts on the cage protecting the changer, you can tilt it a bit and that'll give u access to the lead. Mine came out of the back N/S corner of the boot and that was OE fit from the factory.
polodriver
Getting There!

Post by polodriver »

Thanks chaps.

Finally got it to unclip. Put back together, still get 'No CD changer' message, so looks like I'll have to get another. Anyone know of any for sale, and will any VW 6CD changer of that vintage fit?

Cheers,
Rich
6n2stan
Silver Member

Post by 6n2stan »

I sold mine to a guy with a B5 Passat and it worked in his car ok.

I've kept the original factory head unit and retrofitted an iPhone lead (hidden away). That could be an option for you?
polodriver
Getting There!

Post by polodriver »

Hi Stan

Yes, that sounds intriguing. How does that work and where have you put the connector?

Keeping a track on numerous changers, too...

Cheers,
Rich
6n2stan
Silver Member

Post by 6n2stan »

I've actually got a parrot Bluetooth fitted but part of it is a iPhone/headphone jack/USB lead. I've run the cable across the back of the dash above the pedal area and the end of the lead lives in that cubby hole infront of the fuse access door. It's a plug and play kit, no soldering or chopping of wires so it can be removed at a later date.
polodriver
Getting There!

Post by polodriver »

Thanks again Stan.

Bought a changer from a car the same as mine, and now get 'CD error' message after it's checked the magazine.

Usually means the CD is the wrong way up, but these were all fine. It's a more positive message than the one I was getting before, but still not ideal!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Rich