Best approach to persuading Dealers to price match

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ratovan2
New
Drives: none

Best approach to persuading Dealers to price match

Post by ratovan2 »

This weekend I am test driving a Polo GTi at Stratford VW and after which the subject of price will no doubt occur.
I have spec`d my car using various sites, Orangewheels, Drivethedeal and Carwow all of which have produced more palatable prices.
I am open still to using a Dealer but obviously want to pay the internet prices, does anyone have any experience on how to approach this without p*ssing them off?
Any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated.
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Re: Best approach to persuading Dealers to price match

Post by Penarth Blues »

ratovan2 wrote:This weekend I am test driving a Polo GTi at Stratford VW and after which the subject of price will no doubt occur.
I have spec`d my car using various sites, Orangewheels, Drivethedeal and Carwow all of which have produced more palatable prices.
I am open still to using a Dealer but obviously want to pay the internet prices, does anyone have any experience on how to approach this without p*ssing them off?
Any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated.
I broached the subject before any test drive to make it clear that I was contemplating this option. At the time they had no GTI's for a test drive anyway and showed no interest in getting me a test drive once I'd mentioned the prices I'd seen on the net. This made it easy for me to go with the net offer as I saved over £2,000 this way with the options I chose. I think so long as you are clear that you expect the deal to at least get close to the web price then your dealer knows where they stand. They are very likely to refuse to budge very much so you need to be prepared to walk away.

To be clear, if you use CarWow you still get your car from a VW Dealer but it's a fleet sale not a retail sale. My car was supplied by VW Nuneaton which is not a million miles from you anyway.
mogwai
New
Drives: 2015 Polo Blue Gt

Post by mogwai »

I just printed off the quotes from Orange Wheels and Car wow and took them with me and I basically showed them the price I could get from nearby dealers via Car wow and they matched it without much fuss.
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

I just quoted the discount carwow had listed and my dealer (after saying that's a big discount) matched it. I said that I would prefer to deal with them but would happily travel to get the car at a decent price.
Listers Leamington Spa was my dealer and I've had a few cars through them, same group as Stratford upon Avon VW.

There's often a nice red GTI with pano roof driving around Stratford. ;)

Good luck, enjoy the test drive!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I got a Carwow price for my car and took it in to my local dealership who have been great with me from day one. They immediately offered to match it and then knocked another £5 a month off (I'm on finance). My dealer was Lookers VW Preston.

If a dealer won't match the Carwow price then the dealerships on Carwow usually offer free delivery or a free tank of fuel in most cases.
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 blueGT

Post by tomtoon2015 »

I said to the dealer this is the spec I want, can you match this price (carwow price?) they were about £300 more but it saved me a trip up north!

The dealer was Lancaster VW letchworth
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

tomtoon2015 wrote:I said to the dealer this is the spec I want, can you match this price (carwow price?) they were about £300 more but it saved me a trip up north!

The dealer was Lancaster VW letchworth
That is essentially what I did, ie gave a sensible price, either deal or I walk, they did a deal, get in charge it is your money!
deanjohnl
New
Drives: Mk4 Golf GTI

Post by deanjohnl »

I tested the GTI first, got Cardiff VW to give me a quote and then got some quotes online.

Through CarWow, Nuneaton VW were the cheapest by about £5 per month, followed by Merthyr VW. Cardiff wouldn't come close - about £20 more expensive per month.

I'm not far from Merthyr, so decided on them and sent a polite email to Cardiff to thank them for the test drive.

My girlfriend did the same with Audi. They actually price matched CarWow and offered 10% discount.
CrypticG
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 TSI SEL (6C)

Post by CrypticG »

I can vouch for the good service offered from using a broker. I used drive the deal as no dealer would match the price I was quoted. I went ahead and days later was phones from the dealer which happened to be roughly 70 miles from my address. Everything else was done direct through contact between me and him and I saved £3000 on the RRP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Depends on whether you're buying out right on on finance and also if you're part-exing.

I was a cash buyer. I went in prepared with a drive the deal price and spec said I'm not haggling I want this car for this price. They did the "I'll speak to my manager" bit and hid round the corner for 5 mins then agreed.

If you go in armed with a competitors price (remember to add some for the finance discount if you're not taking out finance £500 -£2000 depending on model) then they'll generally match it.
What they don't like is time wasters If they only make £300 on the deal but it's no hassle they'll go for it.
ratovan2
New
Drives: none

Post by ratovan2 »

Thanks for all the replies.
We went in today produced the quotes when asked about spec and monthly payment and they agreed to match it.
Test drove and loved the car, deal done, now just have to wait.
Still in a daze as it all seemed to go so well, recommend Stratford VW, very friendly dealership.