Disabling dimming for instrument cluster?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
jmccann
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Disabling dimming for instrument cluster?

Post by jmccann »

Hi guys,

The light sensor for the instrument cluster is doing my head in. Whenever the weather is a bit overcast, the instruments dim completely and I can barely see them. I understand why, but to me it just seems terribly executed.

Has anyone figured out how to disable this feature via VCDS? I tried searching, but couldn't dig up anything.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Re: Disabling dimming for instrument cluster?

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

jmccann wrote:Hi guys,

The light sensor for the instrument cluster is doing my head in. Whenever the weather is a bit overcast, the instruments dim completely and I can barely see them. I understand why, but to me it just seems terribly executed.

Has anyone figured out how to disable this feature via VCDS? I tried searching, but couldn't dig up anything.
The reason they dim is so it's hard to read them, which "forces" you to turn on the lights.

And it is the law that you turn on your lights when the the weather is overcast. So solution... Turn on ypur lights. OR get them coded to be on allways.
d7lan
New
Drives: Awaiting delivery of 6C GTI 5dr

Post by d7lan »

I have been annoyed by this too. Especially so considering I have auto headlights - how can the car think it's dark enough to make the instruments unreadable, but not dark enough to switch the headlights on?

I've checked the settings menu in the system and my auto lights are set to "Early" so the problem would be even worse if set to "Late"

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

I quite like the whole dash dark with just the digital speedo :D
Adam87
Bronze Member
Drives: T5.2

Post by Adam87 »

Possible to adjust sensor sensitivity/backlight brightness but not with VCDS, you would need to remove cluster and open up to read EEPROM chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
POLO-SA
New

Post by POLO-SA »

The only way to keep the instrument cluster lights on will be to dismantle the instrument cluster and make a bridged connection between the two soldering points of the light dependant resistor.

http://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/ldr1.htm
Adam87
Bronze Member
Drives: T5.2

Post by Adam87 »

POLO-SA wrote:The only way to keep the instrument cluster lights on will be to dismantle the instrument cluster and make a bridged connection between the two soldering points of the light dependant resistor.

http://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/ldr1.htm
EEPROM can be adjusted and leave sensor in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk