What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Aidey
New
Drives: 2022 Polo Gti

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by Aidey »

Out For long drives, Months later i'm still surprised by this car and the performance it can provide, really good fun to drive , spoilt a bit by the recent 20mph restrictions here in wales... Everyone who see's my car or comes for a spin , and i mean everyone says "when did you get this new Golf Gti then?" :)
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I only choose the Red i because i thought that was right.. The Red TS didn't remind me of anything really.. If you get my meaning..
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:26 pm I've always thought that were VW supply a car with 2 power outputs from the same engine design/size, why don't they make the "I" red in the higher powered output cars.

I keep meaning to check which Golfs use the red "I" to see if that is the way it is done to Golfs.

My only issue with a car having a red "I" fitted to it after it has been sold new is, most insurance companies would make the point that it is making it more attractive to "nasty" people, and so the risk is increased.

Edit:- maybe you can see where this is going, ie if I hadn't had that insurance issue thought, I'd think that my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI would by now have a red "I" !
VW did use a red ‘I’ on some of the higher powered GTI badged models on the mk4 Golf. The petrol engined mk4 Golf GTI was available with three different power outputs; 115ps, 150ps and 180ps and the 180ps version had a red ‘I’ in the GTI badge.

I owned a mk4 Golf 1.9 GT TDI PD 150ps diesel that VW actually badged as a ‘GTI’ from the factory and that car also had a red ‘I’ in the GTI badge on the tailgate - presumably to indicate it was the highest powered mk4 Golf diesel.

I think during that era of VW’s (early 2000’s) there were other VW models in addition to the Golf that got the same badge treatment - i.e. a red ‘I’ in the TSI badges to differentiate the higher powered engine variants.

With the mk7 Golf GTI there was the standard GTI model that had chrome GTI badging. VW offered an extra cost performance pack option that gave the car a 10ps power boost, larger brakes, GTI lettering on the red brake calipers and a mechanical LSD, and cars with the performance pack option got red ‘GTI’ badges on the front grille and tailgate (not just a red ‘I’ - all three letters were red). Similarly, with the mk7.5 facelift Golf GTI, VW offered a standard 230ps car had chrome GTI badging and a 245ps ‘Performance’ model that had red GTI badging.

It was fairly common practice for owners of the lower powered version to change their GTI badges from chrome to red - usually by buying a set of vinyl overlays and applying them to the chrome badges. I doubt many of those owners considered the insurance implications of visually upgrading their cars to the performance version 🤔.
Ping
New
Drives: Polo AW -2018

Post by Ping »

Installed Osram night breaker LED, it is finally LEGAL in my country :D

I'm so excited to wake up early tomorrow when its dark, to see if there is a huge difference :D :D :D . Or maybe i might even take a tour tonight lol.
Only thing i miss now for this Polo AW to be my perfect car, would be blind spot monitor.
20231024_164855 - kopia.JPG
20231024_164855 - kopia.JPG (63.92 KiB) Viewed 7504 times
20231024_170237 - kopia.JPG
20231024_170237 - kopia.JPG (68.79 KiB) Viewed 7504 times
Aidey
New

Post by Aidey »

Noticed that my Car has started to make a terrible moaning sound when reverse is selected and you move... Have looked it up and see its been reported before on other polo's... Its pretty loud and embarrassing :?
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

I can't see what Polo model you have on my phone via of your post..but perhaps the drum shoes are not releasing fully

No experience with rear pads though
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Aidey wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:28 pm Noticed that my Car has started to make a terrible moaning sound when reverse is selected and you move... Have looked it up and see its been reported before on other polo's... Its pretty loud and embarrassing :?
Sounds like the ‘mooing’ rear brakes issue that affected the pre-facelift GTI / GTI+. There was a warranty fix for this on the pre-facelift model.

You’ve mentioned you saw this issue has been reported on other Polos before - if you also do a search on ‘mooing brakes’ or similar search, you’ll find a fairly long discussion thread and quite a few mentions in other discussion threads too.

My car (2020 GTI+) only does it when reversing if the rear brakes have been wet and that thin layer of surface rust forms on the rear discs . As I garage my car, the ‘mooing’ noise usually only happens if I’ve washed my car and put it away in the garage without using it - so the rear discs don’t get ‘cleaned’ by applying the brakes. Because the noise is so infrequent with my car, and it doesn’t affect braking efficiency, I didn’t bother to get the warranty fix.
grazuncle2 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:18 pm I can't see what Polo model you have on my phone via of your post..but perhaps the drum shoes are not releasing fully

No experience with rear pads though
@grazuncle2; I think it only affects Polos with rear discs, so if your car has drum brakes at the rear, then you should be OK.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:49 pm

@grazuncle2; I think it only affects Polos with rear discs, so if your car has drum brakes at the rear, then you should be OK.
I get an occasional grinding before a FULL STOP but learned that that was the manoeuvring emergency brake prompted by the rear sensors.. horrible grinding noise at first..
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Post by 2fast4ya »

This morning i installed a fresh new pollen filter & air filter, topped the oil up a tad , checked for faults , wanted to give the car a good wash & polish but the weather is horrendus down here in kent SE .
Aidey
New

Post by Aidey »

Is there any way to add the disable lane assist option to the quick pull down menu on the main unit?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Took my Polo GTI+ on a 209 mile round trip this morning; the longest trip it’s ever done. Most of the journey was dual carriageway or motorway so I was able to maintain a steady speed close to the national speed limit most of the time.

Driving time; 4 hrs 4 mins
Ave speed; 52 mph
Fuel consumption; 47.3 mpg, which I thought was pretty decent for a 2.0 litre 200ps / 197bhp with 6 speed DSG.

I was pleasantly surprised how relaxed the journey was in spite of the 18” wheels / low profile tyres and the GTi+’s relatively firm suspension.

Sorry about the dust below the instrument panel in the picture below - that’s nothing compared to the outside of the car (it was raining hard for probably the first 25% of the journey). I need to brave the cold tomorrow and give it a much needed wash.
IMG_1386.jpeg
IMG_1386.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2143 times
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:40 pm Took my Polo GTI+ on a 209 mile round trip this morning; the longest trip it’s ever done. Most of the journey was dual carriageway or motorway so I was able to maintain a steady speed close to the national speed limit most of the time.

Driving time; 4 hrs 4 mins
Ave speed; 52 mph
Fuel consumption; 47.3 mpg, which I thought was pretty decent for a 2.0 litre 200ps / 197bhp with 6 speed DSG.

I was pleasantly surprised how relaxed the journey was in spite of the 18” wheels / low profile tyres and the GTi+’s relatively firm suspension.

Sorry about the dust below the instrument panel in the picture below - that’s nothing compared to the outside of the car (it was raining hard for probably the first 25% of the journey). I need to brave the cold tomorrow and give it a much needed wash.

IMG_1386.jpeg
That is good economy indeed, I often see 5.4 - 5.7L/100KM lately since I've toned down my daily freeway driving :) The long term avg. of my car is currently 6.4L/100KM.