Help! Water in front passenger footwell

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
DarrenR
New
Drives: Polo Match 1.2 TSI (2017)

Help! Water in front passenger footwell

Post by DarrenR »

Hi, first time post. I'll say straight up I am no car expert, but I've run into a bit of trouble and would really appreciate some insight.

I have a Polo Match Edition 1.2 TSI 2017 model, bought just over a year ago straight from VW themselves.

Recently I've discovered water under the carpet in the front passenger footwell. I've done some research online regarding the cause, and from what I can tell the scuttle vents are clear from leaf debris, and I've done a water hose test there and the windscreen to see where any water could be coming in. So far I can't see water coming in during that test. I also do not have a sunroof.

As you can see from the attached pictures, the water is saturated on the bottom of the fabric material, but it kind of leads up to the right behind all the controls/plastic. It all seems dry higher up the fabric. I've also read elsewhere it maybe something to do with the AC drain being clogged? I've tried to find the drain, but all I came across was this odd rubber bung and not a drain hole as such as seen in other examples.

It's been a very disappointing experience, as this is my first decent car! The VW garage wants £414.00 for a 3-hour investigation/test which just seems crazy to me. They say it usually takes a minimum of 3 hours, so goodness knows what the final bill will be if it goes on longer. Of course this issue would crop up a few months after my warranty ended :roll:

What's also annoying is I had some ridiculous condensation dripping inside back during the colder months, where a bit of fusty surface mould was found under the front passenger matt. Now I'm wondering if this water leak issue has been part of it all along!

If any more pics can be of help, let me know and I'll grab what I can. Thanks.

p.s. I've circled in red where I found that rubber bung.
Attachments
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg (229.2 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0382.jpg (128.83 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg (104.3 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
IMG_0385.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg (102.45 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
IMG_0388.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg (106.82 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg (160.09 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
DarrenR
New

Re: Help! Water in front passenger footwell

Post by DarrenR »

Update:

So I'm pretty sure the leak is coming from behind the area circled in the attached picture. I returned from a drive noticing more water slowly saturating, and put my fingers behind that circular foam pad trying to trace the source. I could feel a rubber piece behind it, and the water dripping in. Unfortunately, I don't know what the piece is or how to access it properly. It's like condensation coming back in through it?

Any thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_0385.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg (60.76 KiB) Viewed 10752 times
RelaxedRedPanda
New
Drives: VW Polo 6C 1.2TSI

Post by RelaxedRedPanda »

Hey,

By any chance have you checked the windshield drains are not blocked?

This could be a ripple effect from that. They will overflow over the drain ledge and into the suspension fastening.

An easy check if to pour water onto the windscreen and see if water accumulates without draining at small holes at either side below the windscreen/wiper.

Could be the drain for the Air/condition as well which is blocked.
Angus
New
Drives: 6C

Post by Angus »

Could be from a burst windscreen washer hose, had this causing water into front passenger footwell - was on 2014 Polo though, I think VW said it was rear hose.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Does the car have A/C if so check the drain tube is clear as this also can cause water ingress into the cabin.

On your recent journey did you use the A/C ?
DarrenR
New

Post by DarrenR »

RelaxedRedPanda wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:47 pm Hey, By any chance have you checked the windshield drains are not blocked?
This could be a ripple effect from that. They will overflow over the drain ledge and into the suspension fastening.
An easy check if to pour water onto the windscreen and see if water accumulates without draining at small holes at either side below the windscreen/wiper.
Could be the drain for the Air/condition as well which is blocked.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes checked the windshield drains with a hose a few times, and they seem fine so far.
Angus wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:19 am Could be from a burst windscreen washer hose, had this causing water into front passenger footwell - was on 2014 Polo though, I think VW said it was rear hose.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check this out.
CarbonChaos wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:03 pm Does the car have A/C if so check the drain tube is clear as this also can cause water ingress into the cabin.
On your recent journey did you use the A/C ?
It does have A/C yes, and I've been avoiding using it on my journeys to see if everything dries out, which it hasn't. I haven't exactly found the drain tube yet. If you look at one of my post pics, you'll see where I thought it might be, but instead found a closed off rubber bung. Unless I've looked in the wrong place?

Trying a few more tests out this afternoon.
DarrenR
New

Post by DarrenR »

Just to update and hopefully conclude this topic, looks like I have finally found and solved the problem!

That odd rubber bung I posted a pic of before, turns out it was indeed the A/C condensation vent tube, but it had been squashed in!

This must have been the way it was since manufacture, as if it wasn't for me cutting the felt I would never have been able to fix it.

I've tested the A/C on a drive, and touch wood the interior remained dry, and checking under the bonnet the tube was dripping condensation as it should be. Phew! Fingers crossed that was the problem, and I just need to address the mould specs caused by the condensation.
Attachments
IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg (81.48 KiB) Viewed 10499 times
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg (75.75 KiB) Viewed 10499 times
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

DarrenR,

I have the same model and year of Polo as yours, and so have been following your problem with considerable interest. Water leaks into the footwells, whether on the driver's side or passenger's, seem to be fairly common on these 6Cs, and at various times I've even suspected a leak on mine. I've always had a suspicion that the scuttletray-to-bulkhead area was not watertight. However, thus far, my footwells appear to remain dry.

Can you give me and others a more-detailed description of exactly where that AC drain outlet is sited? Normally, is there a tube connected to that drain outlet, a tube that'd carry the fluid downward and deposit it on the ground? How accessible is that drainpoint? Were you able to get to it in the engine compartment only by cutting open the sound deadening on the bulkhead? Is it actually right low down on the bulkhead? I ask because I'd like to check the status of mine.

You say you found that, on yours, the drain outlet had been badly damaged when originally fitted. So, did you therefore buy and fit a replacement drain outlet? The two pics you've provided show a damaged drain outlet and what appears to be a good one.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I know that I'm trying to answer someone else's question, and I can't check on my wife's car because it is raining heavily right now, but I think if you look around the area under the bonnet that has been circled in red in the maybe first posting of this thread, you will find a shaped area that that drain valve hides behind.

I should really check the condition of that in my wife's Polo soon!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've looked at that area in my wife's 2015 Polo, removed the sound deadening retaining "nut" and folded back the sound deadening fabric, but could not find that drain, so I'm guessing that it is at the same level as the coolant pipes that go into the heater matrix - is that where it is?
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

RUM4MO yes I think your correct , I believe the ‘drain’ is part of the heater box assembly so on the production line it would have been fitted from the inside of the car ,this may explain why it’s kinda in the hole in the bulk head but not properly through and doesn’t clear water.
TrebleTA
Bronze Member
Drives: 2021-22 GTI+

Post by TrebleTA »

I am too interested more on this, where is this white plug location exactly. My polo can mist up in the rain say when I stop at lights the car cuts off (BM). After about 30 sec mist comes on the windscreen. Maybe it's down to this..
You say engine pic were you circled?
DarrenR
New

Post by DarrenR »

Sorry for the delay in replying!

I've just gone out and taken some new pics to show exactly where the drain is. Hope this helps identify it! Yes I had to cut the fabric to find it, based on where I believed it should be.
And no, the drain wasn't replaced, the little tube was kinda folded back in itself, and a bit of a wiggle freed it. It was a bit of luck really!

1.jpg
1.jpg (210.12 KiB) Viewed 10156 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (221.81 KiB) Viewed 10156 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (221.28 KiB) Viewed 10156 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (161.46 KiB) Viewed 10156 times
Jussuk
New
Drives: VW Polo Match 999c

Post by Jussuk »

Hi, I also have a leak in the front passenger side, was really wet, used a large towel to soak most of it up. It’s clear water that must be coming in and it doesn’t smell. I don’t really want to be ripping any carpet or felt inside my VW polo match 999c 2017 car, do you think I have the same problem? And will these items be in the same area in my polo. Thanks