Old VW antics

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Old VW antics

Post by littlepolo »

Just before the xmas holiday I replaced the n/s side light with a long life bulb. It has failed and needs investigation.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

48mpg recorded on the previous tankful. 70/30 highway/urban. Surprising in consideration of the low temps we have been experiencing.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

During recent very wet weather on starting from cold DTC 17584 appeared. The reader also showed 18049 which has been indicated for some time, I guess, since the A/C has no pressure. I had noticed earlier that during very wet weather the engine is a bit rough when starting from cold, with a slight misfire and what seems like hunting. One of the ignition coils has a slightly damaged connector and I intended to swap that out. I'll reset the code and see how it goes.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I've reset the DTCs and the engine check light has not yet returned. I suppose I should scan to see if the code has returned. Otherwise, I noticed that fuel consumption had increased. I'm hoping that will return to the very good 44-48mpg I'm achieving.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thankfully, DTC 17584 has not returned. I calculated the mpg at 36.5 (urban 100%) and would have expected at least 40 and nearer 44 if all was well. I've driven the Polo for over 100,000 miles now and notice how the fuel gauge moves. I put the battery on a smart charge and noticed it was down on voltage. I'm wondering if that might have contributed to the DTC occurring along with the very damp weather. With the battery charged, and the DTC cleared, the Polo runs much smoother. I feel it's back on track with mpg. I'll swap out the ignition coil with the dodgy connector for a good one when the fine weather arrives. Another job coming up is cambelt/waterpump/coolant. I have an INA cambelt kit and Febi waterpump at hand.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Back at 45mpg with no DTCs other than the A/C. I added a top up can to the A/C with a leak detector but could not see any indications of a leak. The pressure has dropped again so no A/C. Not sure if it's worth a proper regas - it might last a while longer though before losing pressure.

I fitted a new Varta battery after the previous Bosch AGM battery failed after winter (it didn't last long)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Bosch AGM failed early, not good, I still have the new Bosch AGM that I bought for my wife's 2015 Polo - just before Brexit hit us, just in case supplies became trickier and more costly - that was a complete double or treble fail as battery supplies continued as before, prices did not rise much - and that 2015 Polo's factory fitted Exide EFB (Stop/Start) is still looking okay!

AC - yes, a new Nissens condenser and all required seals is still resting in the attic - and that car still only lasts 6 weeks after a re-charge, I really really should get it looked at by a proper mobile car AC person, I still think that it will end up being the evaporator - and that will be annoying to replace. To compound my errors, I bought a used main fridge pipe from a breaker - but somehow managed to convince myself that it was the HP side pipe that I needed, when I had previously worked out that it was the LP or suction side pipe that might be leaking under certain conditions - oh bother, just something else to store in the airing cupboard!