Electrical fault red warning light

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Hut2024
New
Drives: 2015 1.0bluemotion s

Electrical fault red warning light

Post by Hut2024 »

Hi - really appreciate any help please.

A few weeks ago, after the first night in a while temperature had gone down to -6c, our Polo electrics started playing up - main headlights going off, indicators not working, wipers moving but not returning to neutral and warnings coming up such as water coolant low, bonnet open when the bonnet wasn't open and the coolant wasn't low!

Been to garage - computer lists a whole range of faults mainly all to do with communication to control unit - has been reset twice but still doing it intermittently. Cannot go through more than one day without it being a problem - very dangerous when the indicators stop working!

Garage suggest replacing the control unit - does anyone have any experience of this? I don't want to spend £600 plus and still not sort the problem

Many thanks,

Jon
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Electrical fault red warning light

Post by RUM4MO »

Did that garage carry out a proper health check on the battery - I'm suggesting that while it should not be the case, any/all car controllers can/will start to malfunction if their supply voltage is "lower than normal".

Low ambient temperature may well have just high lighted that that battery is near the end of its life.

Depending on that car's pattern of use, it might well have "used up" that battery's useful life.

Just my maybe logical thoughts.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Electrical fault red warning light

Post by iichel »

sounds like either a bad fuse/ground connection or a faulty BCM. the electric system of the 6c0 platform is in cases a bit fragile. super difficult to say what it is.