Faster than normal tickover?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Faster than normal tickover?

Post by wolfie »

Apologies as I think I may have asked this question quite some time back but just can't find the thread.

I have a little niggle that has slowly become worse overtime. I'm finding that when I come off the power the car won't settle to a normal tick-over of around 680rpm. Instead is settling to 800, 1000, 1100 it varies a little each time. Tick-over appears smooth no misfires or unsteadiness that you can feel. Car drives fine, pulls OK, fuel economy still as good as it ever was. Passed its MOT 2weeks back so emissions must have been within spec.

I've checked the vacuum hoses for any obvious leaks and can't spot anything. That is not to say there may be something small that I can't spot. If I tap the throttle body with a screwdriver nothing changes. Likewise the wastegate actuator. I've run round the MAP sensors and checked all the connections are in good order. None of that made any difference.

However if I tap the throttle peddle with a screwdriver (Side to side, not depressing it) car settles to a normal tick-over instantly. It's repeatable, high tick-over - tap the peddle it settles. I've also noticed the car doesn't hold the revs at 1200 for 20 seconds, then drop to 680rpm or so following a cold start.

Any ideas? I have a basic fault code reader and that doesn't show any DTC's
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Re: Faster than normal tickover?

Post by 2226 »

Does sound like a sticky pedal or loose connection perhaps.