Polo GTI+ Overrun?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JS92
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Polo GTI+ Overrun?

Post by JS92 »

Hi folks,

This week I got a 2019 Polo GTI+ to replace my stolen Seat Leon Cupra 290 (MY2019) which I absolutely loved (would recommend if you ever think of selling your Polo) and one thing (among many) that I really liked about the Cupra was the overrun/pops when downshifting in Cupra mode, it wasn't OTT since it had a GPF and it just sounded nice - this is something I am missing in the Polo GTI.

So, since both cars are GPF/OPF and 2.0L engines, and pardon my ignorance, why can't the Polo produce this overrun? Is this something I would need to get via hardware or software mods?

Thanks
redgti
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Re: Polo GTI+ Overrun?

Post by redgti »

Isn't it just faked somehow?
I doubt any modern engine is going to inject unburnt fuel into the exhaust to be burnt later for fun.
You will own nothing and be happy etc...
JS92
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by JS92 »

redgti wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:00 am Isn't it just faked somehow?
I doubt any modern engine is going to inject unburnt fuel into the exhaust to be burnt later for fun.
You will own nothing and be happy etc...
I don't quite see how it would be faked?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4mU1FJolI - Watch to 0:20 seconds you will clearly hear real pops on the downshift

And this is in Cupra mode, so injecting unburnt fuel will be mapped into that mode - it doesn't happen in Normal mode.
redgti
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by redgti »

Interesting if the factory map does this! It does sound cool.
mobbeduo
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2.0 2020

Post by mobbeduo »

Hey,

Congrats on the Polo GTI! If you're missing the pops and burbles you loved in the Cupra, your Polo actually has that feature, but it's just more subtle. By factory default, it includes a mild overrun burble, created by slightly retarding the ignition timing during overrun. You’ll notice it more if you drop the rear seats, which lets the sound come through clearer.

Both your Cupra and the Polo have GPF/OPF and similar engine setups, but they are tuned differently. The Polo is quieter straight from the factory. However, you can change this feature with an ECU remap, which adjusts the engine's fuel cut-off and ignition timing settings to enhance the overrun effects.

If you want to know more about how this sound is created, this video is a very good explainer.
https://youtu.be/Ya8p4grHV3U?si=6W-c4U6vywo0Jlf0