ALL USERS PLEASE READ!

Check here for Important Forum Information
toXXin

ALL USERS PLEASE READ!

Post by toXXin »

Guys and gals,

I've recently been noticing that the quality of posts has gone down and the quantity of useless posts is on the up.

I don't want to sound like a party pooper, but please remember this is a Polo forum, not a chat room. The model forums are there for a reason, so please use them properly. I don't want to see conversations in these sections anymore!

For all chit chat, please use the Club House section. This section was created so that all topical issues and general chat is kept in one area. This way we can cull the unimportant threads when we need to, yet retain the useful information held in the model forums.

Also, I'm sick and tired of read text talk. You all know how to spell and use punctuation, so type properly! There is no character limit, so there's no need to shorten all of your words. Remember VW UK have been known to read information held on this forum, what kind of message are you sending them, and possible new members if you're typing like you haven't even left school?

Before posting anything, please think to yourself:

1) Is this making a good contribution to the site?
2) Am I breaking any rules by posting this?
3) Does this make sense? Will others be able to understand it?

Thank you and good night!
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Think if you were a new member and your car was playing up. You start searching for a solution to your problem and all you can find is text speak chats with no relevance to the topic in hand. In your mind you'd think "my god, this site is a waste of time" and then you'd find somewhere else. That's not what we want, we want newbies to come here and think that the site is a useful resource for information.

I'm not being a dictator and telling you not to chat, I'm saying there are sections for chatting, so please post it there.

Also, this site may be free to the users, but there are people that have to pay the bills to keep it going. The more data we store on the server, the more its going to cost. If all off topic stuff is kept in the off topic areas, then we can clear it away a lot easier, thus keeping the bills down.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

though i'm often lax with my capitals and have a love affair with the "...." type of punctuation, I do agree with toxxin

that is, i'll have no qualms abandoning my beloved AMD chipsets if intel ever come up with a motherboard that allows you to reach through the internet and physically slap anyone who RITES LYK DIS BCOS THEY FINK TXT TALK IS RLY 2COOL4WRDS INIT

sure, use it on your phone, but for the love of pete.... we don't have character length restrictions here (don't ask me how i know that, if you don't already know), so act like you've at least had some contact with the good people of letterland at some time in your life. It's actually quicker to type out the words in full once you get any meaningful kind of keyboard proficiency, unless you learn to type in a really, really wierd way. (that bit further up took a fair bit longer to write than "writes like this because they think 'text talk is really too cool for words, isn't it?'")
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Nice

Cheers for starting this topic Tox...

I don't want people to stop chatting, as that's half of what makes this forum so great; the community spirit, but if you could try to do it in the Club House, and, like Toxxin said, use the different polo and technical sections for what they're there for... The discussion of technical and car related stuff.

The tech stuff is what sets us apart from some other forums... Let's keep it up!

:D
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

And there was me, thinking I must be in the wrong for noticing the declining standards of grammar and spelling.

It is also true to say that this forum has grown quite rapidly in recent months, and has been a lot more active than I can remember in 3+ years I've been here. But that isn't a excuse for what is noted above.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

The best thing is that although yes, the forum is busier now than it has been in a long while, its not moving too fast for you to lose a topic in a matter of hours like some other forums I know of (naming no names). I like that, its one of those little things that sets uk-polos apart IMHO.

One other thing that would be useful is to find a way to make users more aware of the search function of the forum - I use it fairly often and its really useful, you can find an answer to a question without having to post a new topic and re-tread old ground! Obviously if your own particular problem hasn't been answered in the past then by all means go ahead and ask for help :wink:

On the subject of community spirit, I think its spot-on. There are hardly ever any personal attacks or abuse and everyone from this forum that I have met in person has been approachable, honest and genuine.

jm2pw 8)
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

This explains the disapearance of one of my threads.
Weedle
Silver Member

Post by Weedle »

Si_GTi wrote:The best thing is that although yes, the forum is busier now than it has been in a long while, its not moving too fast for you to lose a topic in a matter of hours like some other forums I know of (naming no names). I like that, its one of those little things that sets uk-polos apart IMHO.

One other thing that would be useful is to find a way to make users more aware of the search function of the forum - I use it fairly often and its really useful, you can find an answer to a question without having to post a new topic and re-tread old ground! Obviously if your own particular problem hasn't been answered in the past then by all means go ahead and ask for help :wink:

On the subject of community spirit, I think its spot-on. There are hardly ever any personal attacks or abuse and everyone from this forum that I have met in person has been approachable, honest and genuine.

jm2pw 8)
Have to agree with you on that one Si But its trawling through all the posts with obscure titles that puts people off ?!?! I know its put me off before ! but then again im probably guilty of the same with some of my post titles !
:oops:
But i really like the banter and freindliness of this forum - its the main one i use ! I wont mention names but there are some forums out there that make you feel like a right pleb ! So i think weve got the right mix here !
Matty2021
Bronze Member

Post by Matty2021 »

I totally agree with the text speak thing, does my nut in.

Aswell from now on ill make more of an effort to search through posts because i never bother! lol i just tend to post a question :S my bad.
polopowah
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

at the end of the day you have to have a laid back atmosphere which in-turn contributes to the well-being of the forum.
just seems like abit of a rant to me, maybe im too laid back!

-Ben-
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

The busier the better ! wooohooo

Still think people get too hung up about 'text talk', i dont think ive come across a message i couldnt understand ever on this site, really dont see what the big deal is.. . as Ben said, sounds like a Rant rather than constructive talk. . .but seeing as it is a rant. .

. . .What i will say is, some people who dont break up there messages is way more annoying than the big deal of 'text talk', sometimes if they have written a massive chunk of writing i cant even be bothered to read it . . .and from speakin to other users on PM, i know they are in agreement about this.

split up your paragraphs people! ! ! dont just write one big continious piece of writing, most people will just skit through it and not read all of it.

ok ive had my moan now.

:-p

Cal
Jordan142
New

Post by Jordan142 »

Well coming from a newbie point of view, I find this forum very good indeed !

It's a hell of a lot better than the other Polo Forum (not naming any name's either), you guys gave me a much warmer welcome when I joined on here :D

Before I even joined I did nothing but search for useful information which I found every time.

I like it a lot so keep up the good work! 8)

PS, dont wanna sound like I'm slagging off the other forum, or anything, just this one is more informative thats all. No offence is intended!