BBS RX2 (GTI Split Rims) Refurb Guide

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Its alright for some!! :P Looking nice there. The corrosion on yours wasnt too bad was it?
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

alexperkins wrote:Its alright for some!! :P Looking nice there. The corrosion on yours wasnt too bad was it?
One was the other wenent, i think one of them is an orig and 3 were refurbed. AS the nitro took paint of 3 and only laquer of one.

The price to do them for me :

Centres: 60 quid for 4
Nitro: 10er for a 1L
Sandpaper: 20quid for 4 wheels
Autosol: 10er
Duraglit: still to get
Centres: 25 for 4

125 quid , so wasnt too bad for the new mod (H) cant complain!
Last edited by sorted on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

Order: Start to Finish :

Get a photo when there on the car later (H) should look amazing behind the 280mm brakes and new painted calipers:D
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Awesome :D Mine come back later this week. Did you seal between the centres and the rims? and also, did you use a thread locker?
womble68
Bronze Member

Post by womble68 »

I finished mine the other day. I used Red Hermitite to seal between the Centres and the Rim, and VERY sparingly used Loctite Thread Locker on all the bolts (as in v tiny dab on each bolt, with any excess used on the next bolt). All seems good :D Might post some pics of the finished work in the next couple of days.
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

womble68 wrote:I finished mine the other day. I used Red Hermitite to seal between the Centres and the Rim, and VERY sparingly used Loctite Thread Locker on all the bolts (as in v tiny dab on each bolt, with any excess used on the next bolt). All seems good :D Might post some pics of the finished work in the next couple of days.
Used the Vauhall head gasket sealer - 6 quid or sumit a tube. Bought 2 tubes, 1/4 a tube on each wheel.

Didnt use anything to lock the nuts in, just made them to 20NM
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Can you just buy it from vauxhall? I was using blue hylomar, but it appeared to soften the powder coating :S
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

Still got 2 wheels to do. And new centre caps!

Neildo
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

Where do i get duraglit from to protect them ? I searched ebay and brasso came up LOL
tashagti
New

Post by tashagti »

alexperkins wrote:I have a handful I can sell you for £1.20 each :P They are totally brand new. How many do you need?
i need 5, but £1.20 is abit hefty aint it, ones for rm wheels are only £1
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

www.neil-f.net wrote:Where do i get duraglit from to protect them ? I searched ebay and brasso came up LOL
Tesco or Sainsbury :lol:
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Not really - its what they are from justmatz and thats including the postage! They charged me 5 quid to deliver 10 bolts :evil:
way_z
Silver Member
Drives: 6n2 1.4 TDI

Post by way_z »

alrite fellas.. thought i'd join the party as i'm halfway through my refurb, 2 wheels down, 2 to go! seemed alot easier to do than i thought, but it is still hard work tho... :roll:

anyway i had a slight dilemma doing mine, i didn't have spare set of wheels to run around on so i didn't get the centres done... kinda lets it down but thought i'd get it done later as it was simple disassembling the wheels... but then one bloody bolt decided to flake away as i tightened it so that'll have to be drilled out, does anyone one know how much it is to do?

plus repeating alex's question, do u just get the vauxhall gasket sealant from vauxhall?
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

they sell gasket sealent in halfords....not sure if it's non acidic though?
M@Turner
Platinum Member

Post by M@Turner »

I haven't bothered with the sealant!!! To be honest tho, they're only staying on the car another month or 2, so might stick some on then!!

As for getting the bolt drilled out, i just went to a local fabricating place. Took it down where this guy just works with one other person and he did it for free!!! Took him about 10mins!!!

HTH