Save money, don't use a dealer

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
LeonSymnz
New
Drives: 9n3

Save money, don't use a dealer

Post by LeonSymnz »

It's not Polo related, but VW so thought I'd whinge a little here about it.

I know this is probably obvious to many and it has been for many years, for me.

I have had experience with dealers (specifically motorcycle dealers) in the past and I know when someone in a dealer is talking s**t (mostly when they are trying to sell you something...)

Anyway, I took my girlfriends '16 golf to get its MOT at Peter Cooper in Southampton. I asked them to check the O/S water jet as it's just spraying out like a hose rather than a spread/mist. I didn't want to f**k about with it as it had a warranty still and thought it would fall under that.

One of the girls working there said they tried to clean the jet but they need to strip it out as the blockage is further down. She suggested it could be due to the washer stuff I use (just the Halfords stuff). I said if that were the case, both jets would be affected.

Diagnosis at £60 for 30 minutes, as the blockage is so far down, they can’t see it so they have to pull it all out…

I explained that I could measure the volume coming out of each jet being the same as I know there wasn’t a blockage. She kept saying there’s a blockage or partial blockage and wouldn’t concede that if the volume is the same, the issue must be with the nozzle.

I said I would just replace the jet myself but if I did so, can I claim it back under the warranty. I was told that they are not a warrantable item.

She offered to have someone check the jet again…

Back she came… the pipes were fine, it was the jet. SHOCKER! - Wait, didn’t they just said it’s a 30-minute job to diagnose the issue? Yet he did it in a minute?…

I knew this already, they must have known this already.

Ordered the jet through them for the huge sum of £12 Fitted it just now in less than 30 seconds.

I guess this is just a rant about dealers. All she had to say is that the warranty doesn’t cover the jet. No way was I ever going to pay £60+VAT for someone to tell me the jet was f****d.