6N - fitting mk5 lights (update with pics)

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

6N - fitting mk5 lights (update with pics)

Post by david burton »

This should have been here a long time ago, written by Speedlaw and slightly modded by me. Found some pics now... 8)

To get them completely flush with the boot lid, you need to drill out the middle hole behind the lights. That's right, it means drilling into the metal of the car, so a big 15mm hole is created. This will allow the middle stud of the new lights to sink all the way into the body. After that, the lights may need some sanding down of their plastic edge, but you'll find out soon enough. Use a power sander if need be or a file, I found that the bottom of the clusters could use a bit of trimming, especially on the right side.

The bigger hole

The trimming process (left is done, right is not!)

The bigger hole will render the middle screw useless unless you get some penny washers for the inside of the car. then you can tighten it up against the washers as normal.

With the mk5 bulb holders (which you WILL need) they are the same left and right - mk4 ones were reflected. Also, the indicator is in a different place on the lights so this needs to be sorted.

left side: you need to switch numbers one and two around. That's it.

LHS wiring (IGNORE THE EXTRA CONNECTOR ON THE RIGHT)

right side: slice off the two lugs on the plug that goes into the lightbulb holder. That allows it to be fitted the wrong way round to get round the difference in symmetry between mk4 and mk5. This is a good way to do it because the fog light still gets the thick wire.

After that, switch numbers 4 and 5, which should be Green/Grey and Brown ON SOME MODELS. So turn the plug around, and switch the wires. The wires you need to change (ONCE IT'S UPSIDE DOWN) should be the top two of the connector like you did on the LHS - you're basically swapping where the indicator and brake lights are (IIRC).

RHS wiring (IGNORE THE EXTRA CONNECTOR ON THE LEFT) with the flattened lugs

If you're fitting LHD lights like mine, swap the clear foglight bulb in the RHS cluster for a red one - UK legislation says the fog light must be on the RHS of the car to pass an MOT. Stick with the red reverse light (oh well) or apparently you can smash the red reflector from inside and pick out the pieces ( :!: ) but I'm not sure if this looks good.

The finished result, flat and bling!
Last edited by david burton on Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
david burton

Post by david burton »

found some pics, might help some people picture what is going on! feel free to pm me with questions, or use my pics elsewhere.

8)
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

pics aint workin :(
david burton

Post by david burton »

fixed
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

i think im deffo gunna do this mod, will look pimp! in this guide are they lhd or rhd lights coz ive heard it can cause trouble bein lhd? how much do these lights cost and where can i get em the cheapist?
ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

They look like LHD as the fog is on the left, AFAIK they only cause trouble come MOT time, because the fog light has to be on the right, so you have to swap them around.
spot_on_jon
Bronze Member

Post by spot_on_jon »

i had a pop at this check it out

djk31
New

Post by djk31 »

excuse me.....
The pics link seems dead....
Can U post again or mail the pics to me?
I really need it!
Please help~~~Please......

my e-mail : dj_k31@yahoo.com.tw
Ant_6n
Bronze Member

Post by Ant_6n »

they're working fine for me
djk31
New

Post by djk31 »

Yep! Thanx!!! It's fine now!!
The link of pics was dead few days ago....
Last edited by djk31 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polo_mf
Bronze Member

Post by polo_mf »

I done this the other day on my red mk4 and it looks amazing!!

all i have left to do is drill the hole to get them looking flush but that shouldnt take long!

i have to say this is a brilliant guide and really easy to follow. it ended up only takin me 10 minutes at the most per light!! really pleased with the results and thanks again for the guide!!

mitch
/\ndy
New

Post by /\ndy »

Thats a huge improvement, great guide also.

Looking to get some mkv lights for my own, hard to find tho :?
david burton

Post by david burton »

ModifiedMadness wrote:They look like LHD as the fog is on the left, AFAIK they only cause trouble come MOT time, because the fog light has to be on the right, so you have to swap them around.
that's not the case if you put a red fog light bulb in the RHS lens....

you get left with a red reverse on the LHS tho.....
R1CH
Platinum Member

Post by R1CH »

Cheers david,,,,fantastic guide mate,,,had them on and working in 10 minutes.
dannyboi
Bronze Member

Post by dannyboi »

i have follwed this guide, done exactly everything it says ..... i have managed to get the indicators and main lights working inc. fog but the brake light and reverse light wont come on :@:@:@

does anybody have any ideas y this is or can help me solve this ? i can get pics of how i have wired it up if needed .

cheers