"Brake"ing news

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

"Brake"ing news

Post by polo2k »

well as some of you might know i am curently running omp road and sport pads with drilled and groved discs (and of cource the original centre ventilation) they look a little like this:
if you look closely at this photo you may see a little bluing of the disc due to heat build up. as of tonights "rapid" blast along some of the best roads in the french alps they are now looking a little more blue, to be specific they look anodised :shock: . i pulled into my drive tonight and as i let the engine cool down a little i did a quick check of my new snow tyres (michlin alpins stock size and they are exelent) and i noticed a little burning smell at the front, pulled out the maglite and my omp road and sport pads were chucking out loads of smoke (this is a bad sign, for the un-educated) so depending on the damage i may have to throw away this brakeing setup with less than 3000 miles on it :evil: . the irony of everything is that my last pads were omp racing pads and i changed due to the racing pads not staying at operating temp :evil:
oh i am miffed tonight
on a lighter note i took a few pics today of the general landscape around (dont tell me im sad, i already know) and some came out great including this one. ah well have fun and remember that steel wheels affect cooling to the brakes more than you would think even though the air vent isnt covered.
:?: and btw does anyone know of any conversions available to upgrade to bigger discs i.e. the mk4 golf guys use tt brakes?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

So what are your plans for the brakes then? I'm currently looking at brakes for my own car, as the discs seem to be at their end. So far, I'm considering Zimmerman drilled discs with Ferodo pads. What made you choose your current setup?

How bad is that blue color?
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

there close to the blue of the right bee stung in this foto from
http://www.buyabeesting.com
and i think that the main problems are
  • the groved discs are a lot more aggressive than normal tthus more heat
    this was the first time that i had driven my car reasonably hard since i had removed my alloys (alloys cool more)
i cant comment on your choise of brake setup cos ive never tried either make but on the pads i was recomended them.
ps what do you think of the landscape pic :?:
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

got a beter pic:
its roughly the same color as the bottom of this tax disc holder :x
http://www.eunosverse.com/shopimages/Ta ... _Blue2.htm
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

I presume you have checked the brakes arent binding / sticking on.

They must be getting very hot to turn the discs blue. I have never heard of peoples experiences with OMP brakes so I can't comment.

I believe the best brake pads are Ferodo DS 2000, they are very expensive but many people have said they are very good.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

well i do drive "aggressivly" so im pretty sure thas the reason and those calipers were literally polished clean when they were fitted and tommorow i will see if they have stuck and if they have then it would be the perfect opertunaty to do a bigger brake kit btu i need to know what will fit
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Don't the 256mm brakes (with their matching calipers) fit? These would be on the GTI for example, but I wonder how hard it is to fit them.

Landscape pic is nice, I still haven't got a camera though so I don't know the first thing about taking pictures.

Last thing; those are OMP brake discs (rotors) and pads right?
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

omp pads and galfer discs (they colud be opm though i cant find the recipt and i cant even remember what i had for brecfast so theres no chance of me remembering that lol) but the omp pads were simply amazing on the standard discs, to the point of waking the rear "sway" as it was de-weighted, im thinkin that if its all cooked doing back to that setup but its more expensive than drilled grooced :shock:
btw any one who is thinking of grooved disks please remeber that the grooves actually "shave" a layer of pad off every time they pass hence my pads being 1/2 work at 3000km (1800 miles) and theres only 2 contryside blats on themn and about 4-5 high speed road runs (by high speed i mean over 200kmh(125mph)) saying that though i went through the stock disks and 2 sets of pars (1 stock 1 omp racing)in around 20,000km so it could be that i have an agressive driving style 8)
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

I'll keep an eye out for those OMP pads then. Standard brakes are only so-so and they're in need of replacement soon anyway. I've done 75k (Km, not Miles) on them, not bad eh?

[enter the 'that's because you drive like a granny' comments here]

:lol:
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

that's because you drive like a granny ;)
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

and you too 2k :)
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

and sorry i'm not making a comment on this thread, I've just woken up and there's no way I can take in anything here at the moment :)

Nice pic tho 2k, is that where you live??
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

ok ill admit it i do drive like a granny .
a granny using the accelerator as a foor rest :P
and yeah i took that pic from my front garden
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Excellent :)