Wet carpet/drainage problem!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Wet carpet/drainage problem!

Post by Ollie_R »

While in Croydon today, I found that my carpet and mat were soaking wet, in conjunction with a lot of water on the floor. It also happened before at the Bluewater meet.

After there has been a lot of rain, or just after washing my car, I get the sound of rushing water from the nearside. I can only assume there's a blockage somewhere within the drainage areas in the car.

I was wondering how can I remedy this? Should I try to find the blockage and attempt to unblock it? Or should I take it in to VW for a service?
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

Would you not be best at having a look first, ie. All the seals around the windows etc, sunroof if you have one, Also the Scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen, and even lift your carpet up to see if there is any damage underneath. May be a bit of a hassel but better that than getting charged and the garage find nothing mate.
way_z
Silver Member
Drives: 6n2 1.4 TDI

Post by way_z »

my mate had the same problem with his mkV polo, always found his carpet soaking after it rained... he spent months trying to find problem even stripped out interior and replaced all door seals! he got it sorted in the end, i'll find out wat it was...
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

I doubt there's any problem with the seals, and there's no damage to the car. I'll have a check though.

I managed to get the scuttle panel and the pollen filter out, and found a collection of wet, dead leaves. I took them out, and I'm going to give the drainage points a blast through with some compressed air.

Also, only the passenger side is wet, and it's mostly located to the bottom of the carpet, the top bits aren't that wet.
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

a gromet underneath the carpet was mine, in the passenger footwell, gromet was fecked.
polopaul
Bronze Member

Post by polopaul »

mine does the same, been told by the garage its the cabin filter seal, however been back there twice now and its started doing it again!getting fed up of it.
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

As Said it may Be A gromit in the engine bay mate, or any seals aorund the pollen filter ? Hope you get it sorted !
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

I think I have it sorted, I've managed to unblock most of the leaves. I'll have another poke under the pollen filter once I get home.

Then there's just the matter of getting rid of the water in the carpet :?
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

An update:

The front passenger carpet is drying nicely :)

However,

The water has trickled back into the rear passenger carpet, and it's soaked!

I've tried to remove it, but the water won't budge. I guess the rainfall in the last few weeks has been high.

Looks like I'll need to hire a wet carpet cleaner :(
dubbprince
Bronze Member

Post by dubbprince »

ollie...the mk4's had a drainage problem to do with the sunroof gutters.

theres a couple of pipes that run behind the a pillars or b pillars...can't think now and they drain any excess water sat inside the sunroof area...if they get blocked the water gets into the footwells.

Most likely gonna be a grommet though! :lol:
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

Yeah, I think I sorted it out now :mrgreen:

I managed to unblock another load of leaves/crap in the scuttle panel under the pollen filter. I put a bit of compressed air through the drain hole, and ran some water from there. It now leaks the water like a pro!

I don't know if this helps, but after washing/heavy rain I got a sloshing/swishing noise from the front of the car when I turned quickly. I think it may have been trapped water being moved around in the scuttle panel, I guess with the heavy rainfall, the water filled up the scuttle panel, and managed to breach the pollen filter and soak the footwells with water.

Well, that's my theory :|
Ollie_R
Sponsor

Post by Ollie_R »

Just had a go with the W&D vacuum. I managed to remove about a litre of water. Most of the water foamed up, which indicates the problem probably did come from the scuttle panel.
Ian_R
Gold Member

Post by Ian_R »

Ollie_R wrote:Just had a go with the W&D vacuum. I managed to remove about a litre of water. Most of the water foamed up, which indicates the problem probably did come from the scuttle panel.
Glad you Got It Sorted Mate, Altho would this not indicate there may be something up within your scuttle panel/pollen filter area, as i have never had this problemmate, and if there is a huge amount of s**t in there, then something must be up. Just my thoughts, but glad its sorted (again)
Kaylaa169
New
Drives: 1.4 2006

Re: Wet carpet/drainage problem!

Post by Kaylaa169 »

Did you get this sorted? I have the exact same issue with my polo passenger footwells are getting soaked after rain. I’m currently clearing the scuttle panel with an air compressor I’m hoping to god it works I’m so sick of having a puddle in my car!