Mk5 Experts: Mirror question...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Speedlaw

Mk5 Experts: Mirror question...

Post by Speedlaw »

Hi everyone,

Quick question on your nice mirrors... Did they ever sell manually operated mirrors in the UK? I've spoken to a dealer in London and he thought they only ever fitted Mk5's with powered mirrors. Is he right? Am I screwed?

(I counted on the availability of them, now I've spent lots of cash for nowt)

:(
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

AFAIK they all had electric powered mirrors.

Do you have manual?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

No I've got the powered ones myself (mk4) but I'm trying to fit the facelift version on mine. To minimize expenses I went for manual mirrors, but it seems to have backfired on me. Bugger.

So now I've got one useless right-side small manual mirror. :(
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

manual here
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Yeah Ash, I know cars on the continent have manual mirrors, but I wanted the UK version. I.e. the small left hand side version... Which isn't available. Anywhere.

Oh well, I'll figure it out somehow.

:?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

id think that you could get the continental internals and put them in the uk mirrors and if you do that tell ma how much you want for the internals
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Well I've thought about that (i.e. big left side internals into small housing), but I seriously doubt that it'll be easy.

The internals can be bought in either a small (135mm) or a big (165mm) version, so that's probably for a good reason.

If I were to mod it, it would have to be spot on, so the mirror glass would fit exactly in the center of the housing, any rubbing and it would pop off after a big bump.

I think I'll go for a powered one on the left (small) and a manual one on the right. Sounds naff, but I've already got the right manual one, so that's why. I consider it 'Out of the box thinking'. :P