Polo 2001 Auto, resetting ECU & throttle adaptation help

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
liviococcia
Getting There!

Polo 2001 Auto, resetting ECU & throttle adaptation help

Post by liviococcia »

Hello Members
I just need a little help from someone who knows about VW Polo petrol Auto's of the year above, the engine is an AUD, although any help would be grateful.

I need to clean the throttle housing , which means taking it off, removing th Inlet control valve and also giving the part a clean, i'm going to change the air filter, plug leads and plugs, i also have to replace the lambda sensor S1 bank 1 (exhaust manifold), as the wire was worn through by the spinning of the cooling fan.

I would also like to clean the fuel jets, is this a wise thing to do?

I've bought myself one of those hand diagnostic scanners (meets VAG standards, does 'Basic seting' & 'Adaptation'), what i'm not sure is, i'll need to disconnect the battery in order to do the service and then once complete, clear the fault codes, once i reconnect the battery, i should reset the ECU back to it's default factory values, how do i do this? a VAG-COM user would maybe know the address or instructions to go to i.e engine 01.

Also, where do i then go to do the throttle 'Adaptation' process?

any help would be grateful please.

regards
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

To reset/reallign the throttle body follow these instructions:

Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on DBW Cars using KWP-1281:
(Check to see if the engine speaks KWP-1281 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KWP-1281 engine controllers are 2000+ Golf/GTI/Jetta/New Beetle/Audit TT 1.8T)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 060
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

Hope that helps mate,

Haris
liviococcia
Getting There!

Post by liviococcia »

Thanks for the info h4rls, my only worry is, is this procedure only to perform the 'Adaptation' of the throttle body, does doing this also bring the ECU settings for the whole engine back to factory default, if not, do you know how i can do this?

regards
SuperDuke
New
Drives: 2005 Polo Twist 1.4 9N

Re: Polo 2001 Auto, resetting ECU & throttle adaptation help

Post by SuperDuke »

Hello,

I have a 2005 Polo Twist 1.4lt (9N I believe)

It has the typical throttle body fault. (in limp home)

I have tried to use VCDS to perform an adaption BUT it never does anything? It always says ADP OK. I cannot get it to ever go to ADP RUN

I have checked the wiring from ECU to throttle, all seems OK.(basic continuity, not checked resistance)
I have powered the motor which I can get to open and close the throttle, so the motor seems to work.
I removed and cleaned all the parts.
Taken off batteries, tried to force an adaption
I have checked I can read a changing voltage on the ECU pins as I manually open the throttle so the potentiometers are OK (I think, certainly moves in the range suggested).

BUT the ECU just will not control the throttle no matter what I do.

I'm wondering is the ECU is broken?
The EGR valve also CLICKS really fast each time I clear all the DTCs. I can only stop it by cranking the engine and starting the car.
Earthing problem maybe ???

The vehicle had this fault about 1 month after buying it (which the garage was able to fix under warranty) and now after lockdown I get to drive it again it's come back. Only now it's out of the 3 month warranty.

Not sure whether to sell it for parts or if I can fix it? I'm an electronics engineer so you can get technical..... just not sure how to put a second ECU in and "code" it properly.

Any advice please ?
Pete