Gearbox or clutch? Loud clicking noise

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
M7R
New

Gearbox or clutch? Loud clicking noise

Post by M7R »

Quick question. I know the 6N2 gti boxes aren’t great but got an odd issue with a friends GTi.

It’s done 81k and had a new clutch (valeo one) at 78K, it appears to have developed a new noise, like a chattering noise which is noticeable with the windows down.

My first though was gearbox but it doesn’t sound right, and goes away when the clutch is dipped. Or at least goes a lot quieter that it can’t be heard.

The gearbox seems fine it changes gear ok and doesn’t seem to whine... so could it be clutch?? Any one else had similar?

A bit of extra info the front left wheel bearing does seem to be grumbling and has been for a while, it’s only the list to be changed at pay day. And the joint between back box and middle box is blowing a little bit, this will be sorted in a couple of weeks though when I can next get the car in the workshop one lunch time, but I don’t think it’s that..
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Gearbox or clutch? Loud clicking noise

Post by alexperkins »

If it goes when the clutch is dipped its likely the clutch release bearing, the hat on the clutch release bearing slider, or the gearbox. Gearboxes are made of chocolate on these, so it could well be that. Is it noticeable in certain gears, or all gears?
M7R
New

Post by M7R »

It’s all gears. This morning it was quiet until the car had warmed up, and this maybe related may not... but after some right hand corners (which is where the left hand front wheel bearing rumbles more)...

I’m hoping it’s the bearing if I’m honest!

The clutch is under warranty and is due a check in the next week or so anyway to maintain the warranty so I will get it mentioned to the garage when the car goes in just encase it’s the release bearing,

Update - while in the car on a quiet country lane, window down and a hedge row to reflect the sound it does go pretty quiet when the clutch is dipped so poss is the release bearing. I will be back off to Mr Clutch very soon then!
M7R
New

Post by M7R »

Well I have been given an update on this, haven't seen the car but i am confused from what I have been told.

The drivers side wheel bearing has been changed, the garage said that is the one that was shot. I could have sworn it would have been the passenger one as it rumbled more when loaded going round right hand corners, and when jacked up and the wheel was spun that was the side which seemed to act like a slightly dragging brake even though it's had a new caliper, the wheel would spin but seemed to come to sudden stop when it was slowing down and had slowed to really slow, hard to explain but it was like the brake was just touching, The drivers side would carry on rotating to a stop at a constant speed rather than a definite Stop once it got to really slow.

However I have been told the car is still making a noise, "like a traction engine" or the sound of a flat tyre, so a sort of rhythmic chuff / chugg sort of noise, not a whine. It only really starts above 20mph or so.

The garage that did the wheel bearing seem to think it could be gear box, but it seems like that's more of guess from them. I have asked my friend to ask one of the others at work for their opinion and to see if it goes quiet with the clutch down, and also to try neutral and clutch up, and neutral and clutch down to see if that makes any change.

It just seems odd that theirs no whine in the higher gears, and it seems to drive OK, well did when I last had ago. I am still tempted to say to take it back to the garage that did the clutch and see if it is a clutch problem.

Anyone else had funny noises like this from the gear box or dies a dying box normally whine?

Cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Gearboxes on these are made of cheese. It could well be the box if it’s speed related and goes when you clutch down so get it tested
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

Does it do it in all gears or just one ? - I'm thinking chipped tooth