hi how often do you buy a new car

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
zarfield
New
Drives: MKVIII6R

hi how often do you buy a new car

Post by zarfield »

hi i am from china and in china most people buy a new car and sell their old ones at an interval of 4-6 years. the car is all good but people just need to replace with a new one.

i wonder what happens in UK, a society which has a deep understanding of cars.
VeeDubb
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 GTI

Re: hi how often do you buy a new car

Post by VeeDubb »

zarfield wrote:hi i am from china and in china most people buy a new car and sell their old ones at an interval of 4-6 years. the car is all good but people just need to replace with a new one.

4-6 years sounds a bit too frequent to me. Unless of course you NEED to because they stop functioning. On average I guess I have bought a new car every 6-8 years, but mostly because I've decided to upgrade, not jsut because I feel like it (although that doesn't sound too bad)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I normally change every 2-3 years but I'm always wanting a different car lol albeit they aren't brand spanking new.
zarfield
New

Post by zarfield »

VeeDubb wrote:
zarfield wrote:hi i am from china and in china most people buy a new car and sell their old ones at an interval of 4-6 years. the car is all good but people just need to replace with a new one.

4-6 years sounds a bit too frequent to me. Unless of course you NEED to because they stop functioning. On average I guess I have bought a new car every 6-8 years, but mostly because I've decided to upgrade, not jsut because I feel like it (although that doesn't sound too bad)

Hi thanks for your post. your words are illuminating.

The biggest difference is earnings. I earn 4k to 6k a month and a POLO priced from 60,000 to 100,000 (all RMB). And to be honest it is not that I want to keep the car for longer period but it is too expensive to buy a new one. 6-8 year is reasonable. my Chery QQ was with me for 7 years before i sold it.
zarfield
New

Post by zarfield »

alexperkins wrote:I normally change every 2-3 years but I'm always wanting a different car lol albeit they aren't brand spanking new.
in china second hand car market are just beginning. consumers don't know much about cars and mechanics. unless you know a guy who is really reliable otherwise you will probably get a really bad car...