maybe, just maybe.

Discuss In Car Entertainment
B REAL
New

maybe, just maybe.

Post by B REAL »

maybe somebody will speak to me here! as posted in the testing part with no reply(c testing part!). how u all doin? anyone got any ideas how to fit my music system in this tiny boot? it all came out my last car (ax) but i dont think it's gonna all fit in the polo. What i need room for is:-
4x sony xplod 12"ers
3x sony amps
1x power cap
4x 6x9's
10 disc multichanger
fuses and cables
Any suggestions would be great. Cheers. :)
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

I never read testposts, I'll change that asap...

But ontopic: How much ICE does a man need? Lots, judging from what's about to go into your car. Here's my suggestion:

First things first, scrap the spare wheel, get a can of tyrefix.

Use the space to fit the changer (opening facing upwards) and cap, and perhaps the fuses. On the floor you could fit the amps, in a double (false) floor, leaving a gap to use the changer. The subs are a bit of a problem though, I can imagine two or maybe three sitting next to each other facing the rear bumper, leaving the remaining two (or one) to fill the space on the sides, facing eachother.

Be prepared not to move anything ever again in the boot. :D
B REAL
New

Post by B REAL »

:P Thanx for the reply, your suggestion is good, just 1 prob, i dont think that thier will be enough cubic space to build 2/3 seperate boxes. But i will measure things out an see what i can come up with. I take it that your not much of a massivly loud music man? what are you running? Also what does you think is the best air filter to go for?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

wow how much bass do you want! it may be worthwile to sell your current subs and get a few of those square ones, i think speedlaw has a pic of a polo (mk) with 2x15" ones in the boot, hide the subs in the boxex near the ports (assuming you are using a ported box) so they get some air flow then mount the changer so you see it vertically i.e. face flush between the 2 subs and the cap where ever there is room. personally i run:
boot 2x xplod subs
1x 760w amp (xplod)
1x power cap (1 farad, no name from maplins £100 with digi display that i never look at)
2x sony 6x9s
1x sony 222w amp for 6x9s
1x dvd player
cabin
1x panasonic night and day md player
2x sony door speakers run by
1x no name 180w amp (hidden under centre console infront of ashtray)
2x 1" tweeters 120w (£20 maplins)
1x 5" screan in glove box

and i think thats it
pics to come when ive uploaded them
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Right, I've taken a short nap. It's true- I was tired as I've worked all day on the construction of my brother's house. No shame here. Anyway, all I could think of when I woke up was: "Sell it. All of it." Referring to your load of ICE.

I'll explain.

All of that stuff is not going to win you a competition. Ever. Now I know you may not care about this, as you probably build it for yourself and not for some stuck up audio judge. I do this too. I build it for myself, no one else. However, I do tend to think along the lines of how those Gasca folk think. If I had the kind of cash you've spent on the Sony stuff, here's what I would have bought:

1. A very capable headunit. Alpine 7944, Nakamichi, Clarion.
2. A single 4 channel amp. A big one. Say, a Hifonics Olympus at 4x125.
3. A set of components for up front. CD technologies, Boston, Focal. Depends on taste, this.
4. One (perhaps two) sub. 12" is a good compromise between pressure and accuracy/speed. I suggest the PL Alliante Ltd, the Boston Pro 12", or a JL Audio piece. Again, taste defines the choice since the first one is a audiophile sub, the second is a jack of all trades, and the third is a sub traditionally aimed towards the powerend of the spectrum.

If you need to, get a changer. Skip the 6x9's. Use the cap if you want. Three channels will win your heart, my friend, and you'll soon be able to live without shattering your neighbours' windows. The aforermentioned subs will still (when hooked up to a bridged, capable amp) rock your stommach.

Now, this isn't what I've got. As I said, I'm not that rich! I have:

1. Clarion DRX 8375c headunit.
2. JVC KS-AX 704 4-channel 4x75 amp
3. Kicker S12D in a sealed 25l box.
4. Boston Pro 6.5 components.

That's it. No caps, screens or rear speakers. I'm trying to get a bigger amp, but that is all I wish for a the moment. The Sub is way underpowered at about 200 watts now, so it doesn;t sound half as good as it's able to. When it's given about 500 watts, then my single sub will set off my friend's car alarm. Or so I hope anyway.

Long text, hope it's useful to you.

:D
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

whats wrong with screans? :x the real reason was i started by wanting cd in my car. Then i figured 'ive got all these mp3`s' why not have them in the car (less cds). so mp3 it was. then we put a special offer on at work* and it turned out cheaper than a comparable mp3 head unit plus i got dvd and screan. im reasonably happy with it (so far, ive not yet finished it :( ) but it makes for one helluva conversaion starter. plus have you ever cruised round town with a home burned vcd/mp3 disk, with "questionable" material on it, waited till town got busy then put 100+db of pleasure created sounds surounding you. I can tell you ... its a liberating experiance :D

* 400 euro - dvd reader drive +screan + cables
then required fm modulator 75 euros
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

No no no... Nothing wrong with screens. In fact, if I had über-dosh, I'd get one too. I just meant that you need to start with a decent headunit, and if you're on some sort of budget, get screens later.

Oh ignore me, I'm an audiophile in denial. :roll:

Edit: Here's what you were referring to:

Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Right you lot... I'll let you know what I've got! :D

VW Gamma HU
VW 6-Disc Changer
Apple 20gb iPod (HDD MP3)
Autoleads Gamma -> Pre Out Convertor
Stinger? RCA's
Pretty fat power cables with gold plated fuses, fuse holder and power splitter
Kicker Impulse IX402 (120w) Amp powering a...
12" Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC in a Sealed Box
Rockford Fosgate 2600x Series 1 (35wpc) amp powering...
Focal 16.5cm Polyflex Components up front.

Rear speakers in quarter cards disabled.

The 2 amps are sunk into a custom, carpeted MDF False Floor.

I have also got a 150w 230v Inverter, an FM Modulator and 3 core (video and stereo audio) cable (pretty fat stuff) running from the boot to the dash, so the car is ready for a PS2 and Screen (I used to have a PS2 and 7" Widescreen Sharp TFT Screen but NEVER used it, so out it came and on Ebay it went!)

I find the quality very good and the bass is enough for me.

That is all.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Ok, if it was my Polo I would sell the Sony subs, amps and 6x9's.

Reason being is there are a lot better makes that will give you better sound without the need for all that kit.

Depending if you want SQ or SPL a good setup using the following equipment would be the best option :

6.5" Components in the front using doors for mids and tweeters in the dash. Depending on the budget consider focal, boston, mb quart, jl etc.

One or two 12" sub(s) jl, kicker, rf etc are all good makes.

Either a 4ch amp in tri-mode or a 2ch amp for the front and a monoblock amp for the sub. Again makes like pg, jl, dls, rf, genesis are all good.

Use the cap if you need to, but you don't particulary need one if you have good thick power cables.
B REAL
New

gee thanx

Post by B REAL »

right, you've all got my mind going in different directions now. Oh how i wish it would all just fit itself! After some negotiations with the car, and a look at the financial side of things heres where i stand:-

Mmmmm. dunno!

Okay, selling would be a good option, I agree theres better stuff out there, but being the bass guy that i am, i have built countless boxes, installs, tried a number of makes of subs, n to be totaly honest the sony subs have been the best yet? And as speedlaw says i do it for myself not for judges.

To sell and start again is going to be hard. To beet the quality of the sonys all working together is going to take some doing, and Ive went Two weeks without the bass and driving just has'nt been the same since. To find the subs that are going to beet them will take even longer.

I've recently bought a new house and now the new veedub, so financialy i think that i will be better of sticking with what i have. It will fit in!

TV screens are nice, wonderfull bit of technology. Just not for me. I would never get to hear my tunes again, no sooner would i sit in the drivers seat, an what would you know ("right put the TV on, Theres cartoons to watch") the missus would never have it off.

Power caps: I run four gage cable throughout, an to be honest i dont notice any difference, the lights still dim every bass line? So either i need another one or i aint using it right. So i guess Hardhitter, You've got a point.

I had a thought, what if i were to put the amps in the roof? The roof indents above the rear seats surely they'll fit there! thus giving more room in the boot. What do you think.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi mate

It sounds like you need a bigger alternator... That will stop the lights dimming.

As for amps on the roof :shock: how would you fit them/hide wiring etc??

Never heard of it being done before!

IMHO, I'd keep the amp and subs if you like them and are on a budget, but I'd ditch the 6x9's and just get some decent component speakers up front and amp them. Sorry, I just really dislike 6x9s.

I have no rear speakers for a reason.

Good luck!
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Amps on the inside of the roof have been done before, but will be a major PITA. I've only seen showcars with them, never a daily driver and I think that's for a reason. You'd have to be pretty good at DIY'ing to mount them securely.

Other than that, I agree with Josh, lose the 6x9's and get some proper amped components up front.
B REAL
New

Post by B REAL »

Okay, my minds made up. Heres whats gonna happen.

I go with what you's are suggesting, and lose the 6x9's. (for the moment anyway) I have 4 mids to use in the front so no probs with that, use the amp which was for the 6x9's to power them.

Take out the rear shelve and make one big box for all the subs. As for the amps, well... we'll see.

Have some pics for you all when completed.

Cheers for all the help. K. :D
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

B REAL wrote:I go with what you's are suggesting, and lose the 6x9's. (for the moment anyway)
Smart move, just keep them stored so if you're not happy you can always add them if you want.
Take out the rear shelve and make one big box for all the subs. As for the amps, well... we'll see.
So are the subs identical? I guess so if the box isn't chambered. Isn't it possibele to mount the amps on the back of the box, facing the opposite direction of the subs?

Happy building, hope to see the result!