Speakers

Discuss In Car Entertainment
JB_UK
Bronze Member

Speakers

Post by JB_UK »

Hi guys, i am going to by a new headunit i like the look of an alpine unit. Just want to know if to go for the cheaper option of getting 6x9's? or getting a pair of components and a sub. F

Firstly do the components need an amp? and do they take up an preout on the headunit?

Basically if i wanted a pair of components for the front and a sub with an amp would that take up more then 2 preouts?

Thanks
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: Speakers

Post by Tim_GTi »

I'd definitely steer well clear of the 6X9s route.

Go with components.

You don't have to amp them at all, they will run fine off a headunit. To reach most sets potential though an amp does help.

Generally it will take up a pre-out, so you'd need two for amped speakers and a sub & amp. But there are ways round it.
JB_UK
Bronze Member

Post by JB_UK »

cheers, im gona get my headunit first, then a sub with an amp and lastly components, what are the ways around it?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Your cheapest but least legit method: You can split the RCA outputs using adaptors, but I'm not sure on how well that method works, you'd also lose any designated subwoofer controls on your headunit as it wouldn't be able to determine which amp is being used for this.

Easier and legit method if supported: Would be to use High Level Input (if your amplifier supports this) for your speakers, and your RCA for your sub. This is a commonly used technique (used it on my own system as I only have one pre-out), and also means you can still have subwoofer controls on your headunit.

More expensive option: Purchase one of those multi channel boxes (can't remember the proper term), basically you connect it to your pre-out on your headunit, it then has a number of other channels you can plug mutliple amps into (the amount of channels varies on which one you buy), and also designate what they are powering (a sub or speakers etc).

Easiest option: find a headunit with multiple pre-outs 8)
JB_UK
Bronze Member

Post by JB_UK »

cheers :), im gona get one with 2 i think that should be fine, thanks for help