Cheapo 'aux-in' on standard mk4 HU help?

Discuss In Car Entertainment
tompolo
New

Cheapo 'aux-in' on standard mk4 HU help?

Post by tompolo »

Hey, fairly new on here, so hey all again,

Right, basically i've been tinkering about trying to install a cheapo aux line in on the standard head unit in my MK4 but have run into a problem and was hoping some of ye guys could offer some know-how again...

I've knocked out the head unit, cut the wires that go to and from the speakers, and looped in a switch so i could switch between radio on the speakers and direct i-pod line to speakers (i sense dissapointment in ye already!) but when i switch to mp3 input, i get a greatly reduced volume and some sound chanels missing (vocals in some songs, drum and/or bass in others). posibly because the mp3 output is too low for big (standard vw) speakers...?

Is it possible to somehow make the system work on a budget and get proper quality, volume, and full sound?

My initial plan was to get the plug off a cd changer and use it to put the mp3 signal through the HU and through speakers but it seems the the cd changer socket on the back of the HU has no soldering to the pcb behind it so i didnt even bother getting the cd changer plug. head unit radio is the Malaga RCR 127 if thats any use, and remeber the budget issue, i didnt even get radio removal keys, i just used four small nails cos i'm poor!

Any help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance guys, great site!